Looking for a 12 GA and info on AK/SKS...

S10xGN

RETIRED!
I'll ask first this time. :whistle: Wanting a 12 GA auto and liking the looks of a Saiga, are they worth a grand? I'd like something that takes removable magazines and is fairly short and easy to handle. What other options are there?

There have been a few SKS's popping up around here in the $500 range and I'm looking for something that uses magazines and shoots 7.62x39 ammo. Are these old rifles OK out to 100 yards or should I hold out for an AK? :meh:

There's not enough difference between the AK or the SKS Russ. Both are good to about 150 yards. The difference is the magazines. An SKS can use stripper clips to load when the action is open and an AK requires you to either have an adapter to load the mags, or have multiple mags already loaded. The good part is that AK mags are still fairly cheap and the SKS extended ones are a little harder to find. The 7.62 x 39 round is about the same power as a 30/30.

Unless you want a bolt action shotgun or are willing to spend some serious $, the Siaga is the only game in town.:(

Love this cold, nasty weather! Gives me plenty of time to read up and research a bit. I've found these clip-loading 12 GA semi-autos so far (there may be more):

• Saiga $1200+, Russian, from what I read, 75% of them need work out of the box
  • VEPR $1000, Russian, rock solid, nothing but good reviews
  • Century Arms Fury I/II $450, Chinese, so-so reviews
  • Akdal MK 1919 $550, Turkish, good reviews
  • Natmil BR-99, $500, unknown origin, too new for reviews
Most of these are AK based, some have composite lowers, some are harder to accessorize, etc. The ONLY rub I could find on the VEPR is optics must not be mounted directly over the ejection port or the round will FTE. The vid of the guy shooting the Akdal, 3" mag loads kick like hell!

Ordered a VEPR 12 yesterday, the AK I wanted was out of stock. Still waiting on my Rock River Coyote 5.56. Getting there!

Got my "spray and pray" AK ordered today, a Zastava wood stocked (Romanian) issue with 2 mags for $599. When my 5.56 Coyote comes in, I'll be done except for buying ammo...

opap3.jpg

only other shotgun is the AA12.. but I don't have a clue if your able to buy it. since its full auto.. other than that saiga 12 is all... unless you want to go with a Mossberg 930...