lifter noise

RCI2990

buick fanatic
ever since i rebuilt the motor earlier this year it sounds like a lifter tapping.i even went as far as replacing the lifters again a couple of months ago.and yes i soaked them in oil overnight.the valve springs i put in were single springs with a yellow stripe on them.the original springs were dual spring.my question is would the single springs be too weak?and i'll also add that it's not the exhaust manifold,i checked for that.thanks.

What brand lifter did you use? , they have to be the "buick" lifters , not the unversal SBC / buick. I had a set of federal mogal lifter after I first rebuilt my motor . it made so much noise , I tore it down because I thought I wiped a lobe. I didn't, it was those lifters , I end up getting a Cam & lifters from comp cams (macthing lifters) and these are quite.

Give Jack Cotton a call , he also carries the correct lifter for these engines.

hey thanks,i got the lifters at advanced auto.i plan on getting a aftermarket cam and lifter set.what valve springs did you use.

lifters at advance

:mad:Did the lifter from advance thing-4000 miles and lifter went bad and ate lobe. At 90k replaced the springs-rebuilt engine @130k w/replacement cam and lifters-replaced w/comp cam(206)w/matched lifters and no probs so far! But the lifters looked exactle alike except the # on side had a diff letter prefix-they looked identical. Just my 2 cents ;)

IMO , stick with Comp Cams , the buick people have very few problems with them.

Despite folks poo-pooing them for turbo stuff, I have had excellent results with Kenne Bell lifters(part of a whole cam kit, in fact) have been in my daily driver for 2+ years with no trouble.

Originally posted by jdub
Despite folks poo-pooing them for turbo stuff, I have had excellent results with Kenne Bell lifters(part of a whole cam kit, in fact) have been in my daily driver for 2+ years with no trouble.

I too have everything good to say about Kenne Bell. Cam, cam button, lifters, springs, retainers, HV oil pump kit, neoprene seal, booster plate, dble roller timing chain and gears.

All have worked very well....:)