Leaking Hughes Deep Pan

Glass is made by pouring it liquid floating on a pool of mercury - very flat!
I have used a 12" mirror tile and a nice piece of 1/4" tempered scrap as the flat surface for working the scratches out of oil pump covers* and fine-tuning end clearance when I had more time than money. Can wear your arms out swirling over wet-n-dray sandpiper + lubricant but got excellent results with straight edge to check straightness and feeler gauge to check gear clearance.

*not Buick motors
Thanks for your reply & suggestions.
Got it fixed long ago but have since discovered another leak . Found it was leaking past the seal on the transmission cable bullet. So added a 2nd seal on top of the original & a new rubber “O” ring and voila, just like magic …..no more leaks

Don't use silicone on threads. Instead use Oatey white pipe sealant with Teflon.
Also keep in mind that alum trans pans, and all other aluminum gravity cast parts can be porous. I've seen it in intake manifolds, trans pans and other gravity cast parts.
Permanent mold, pressureized molded parts such as timing covers, etc. rarely have that issue.
I've had trans cases that weeped fluid too
To find those not so easy leaks, clean the area with rags and brake cleaner, then spray the area with spray on flour, used on baking pans for cooking. As soon as it leaks, it's easy to see from where it's coming. Dry spray on armpit deoderant works almost as well.
TIMINATOR