Kirbans Wheels

6 PAK

Have a set of Kirbans GNX style wheels, car has been sitting for a few months in the garage some dust but thats all. The wheels, brushed chrome or what ever the outside rim is, have smear marks when I wiped them down. What can I use on them so as not to damage them. Tried a few mild soaps doesn't faze them.
Thanks

Is the metal lip clearcoated or polished?
I believe they are clearcoated, therin lies the problem. These wheels have maybe 200 miles in 3yrs. I've had them. The car sits in the garage never in the weather. It's just been dust on them and every so often I would wipe them down with windex. I've tried a # of polishes (nothing abrasive) even WD 40. I'm afraid if I rub to hard the coating will start peeling, I don't think I have a choice.
Thanks for the reply PSU

I'd say, rinse the heavy stuff off with water first. You might even rub lightly with your hand while your doing it. Then spray some spray detailer on it and let it soak for a while. Spray more detailer on and try using a clay bar. Simple Green may help too.

Good luck.
Mike Barnard

I'd say, rinse the heavy stuff off with water first. You might even rub lightly with your hand while your doing it. Then spray some spray detailer on it and let it soak for a while. Spray more detailer on and try using a clay bar. Simple Green may help too.

Good luck.
Mike Barnard

Thanks Mike , the clay bar just may do the trick. It seems the coating sucked up the dust with the moisture in the garage during the winter mos.

You can try using a bit of metal polish on a small spot - if the towel doesn't come back with black residue, then the lip is probably clear coated.
You can treat clearcoated wheels the same as clearcoated paint. If you wiped them down when they were dirty, you could have put small scratches into the clearcoat. Hard to tell for sure without seeing them. I think a clay bar might make the problem worse. I'd rewash them, and then try a "cleaner wax" or All-In-One type product on them.

You can try using a bit of metal polish on a small spot - if the towel doesn't come back with black residue, then the lip is probably clear coated.
You can treat clearcoated wheels the same as clearcoated paint. If you wiped them down when they were dirty, you could have put small scratches into the clearcoat. Hard to tell for sure without seeing them. I think a clay bar might make the problem worse. I'd rewash them, and then try a "cleaner wax" or All-In-One type product on them.

I believe they are clearcoat but a very thin layer. I think you're right about the scratches cause U can barely feel anything after i worked on a small spot about 4". I'm gonna spray them down and try a cleaner wax wish i would have kept my Centerlines. Thanks for the help. If I have any luck I'll report back.

If the scratches don't come out easily by hand, you might want to invest in something like a Mother's PowerBall or PowerCone, along with a mild polish. Something like Meguiar's Cleaner Wax has some abrasive in it that might be enough though.

That looks like a metal polish. I wouldn't use it on clearcoat. Clearcoated wheels are the same as the paint on your car, and I wouldn't recommend using a metal polish to clean your car's paint.
Yep your right. But it will work on the rims by hand. It's pretty mild using the S Nuvite. BY HAND. It was a example only! Use it all the time for over 20 years and have never had a problem. Just did a GNX last year and used it on them also. Try a small spot and if your not convinced, then dont use it. Hell pay shipping and i will send you some free!

Best metal polish I found, by hand or otherwise, is called Speedy Metal Polish. I think Kirban actually sells it. I usually buy the stuff right from the manufacturer by the quart. I've tried other stuff that was supposed to be "the best," and Speedy still kicked it.
You're still not going to convince me to use a metal polish over clearcoat though ;)