Is this an Aftermarket Cover ?

Lockman

OH, OK .......Now I get it
Me thinks So ????? :cautious:
timing cover copy.jpg

Thanks for the Info on that seal. Now I Know how to identify 'em. OEM always has the part # above the crank hole / seal.
Thanks Gents

Richie, what you have is an aftermarket casting sold by EngineQuest LLC. they also have an ebay store.

from their ebay listing, you can see the pics showing the same "MA" foundry mark at 10 o'clock and the wording "TIMING COVER" above the crank seal. For $329, you'll have to search some more to confirm if this is one of the better aftermarket covers that does not have casting error of cam sensor bore alignment. links below.

and their ebay listing...

GM timing covers will have a GM # shown in the casting above the crank seal. and a casting date. 14-bolt oil pan versions for 4.1 and 3.8 as well as 20-bolt oil pan versions have similar casting marks. Gnttype.org shows pics of the GM 4.1 cover. below are pics of two GM covers for 20-bolt pans. One was cast April 21, 1986 while other was cast in 1984 (casting date at 10 o'clock - #4 in circle; month was shown with raised dots)

good images from gnttype.org link below....

Attachments

• Front cover neoprene seal.JPG
    Front cover neoprene seal.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • P1040196.JPG
    P1040196.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • P1040199.JPG
    P1040199.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
few more things to know....Steve V has already covered them...

Thanks so Much , again Anthony. I will save this for future reference. Thanks for steering me to education, Kind Sir. :cool:

As you have time, scroll thru Steve V's youtube and f*book pages. He is just one of the many Buick shops & builders that have very informative pages / channels on social media platforms. Aside from the cost savings small business realizes using social media to promote their business and showcase their projects vs old school website .com's, we all, as a collective group, can glean a ton of knowledge from reading and watching and responding/interacting.