Is 10 psi of Boost OK?

black84

Hows it going guys. I just installed a VDO boost gauge in my 87' GN and observed that the boost only went up to 9-10 psi w/the stock wastegate act. arm. Is this ok or is my turbo dying on me. I decided to install my adjustable wastegate, but noticed it is not that easy to shorten the rod. I adjusted the rod to reach the turbo swing arm, but I can't see how I'm going shorten the rod anymore. Please help I only want to crank it up to about 14-15 psi if that's ok. Your help is greatly appreciated.:confused:

You might check the Y connector that splits from the boost solenoid to turbo/wastegate. Some were sold a while back that were not the right size. I forget what size hole it was supposed to be, maybe someone else can remember.

You make the adj. wastegate arm shorter by turning it in and then pulling it out so that it pulls against the flapper holding it shut...All the wastegate is is a spring... the shorter the rod, the tighter the spring, the more boost it takes to open the wastegate...Don't be afraid to pull on the rod it's just a spring in there.

Originally posted by ES1
You might check the Y connector that splits from the boost solenoid to turbo/wastegate. Some were sold a while back that were not the right size. I forget what size hole it was supposed to be, maybe someone else can remember.

This is something to look into also.

Look here for the orfice tubes---> Johns performance

You'll have to scroll down some.

Thanks for all the replys I did what slow91z said and it seems to have worked. I turned it up to 19 psi and it's like night and day. Pulls real good now. Thanks!:D

Originally posted by black84
Thanks for all the replys I did what slow91z said and it seems to have worked. I turned it up to 19 psi and it's like night and day. Pulls real good now. Thanks!:D

19 psi ? on pump gas ? Is this a stock setup on 19 psi
and "it pulls real hard" huh......hm.....Hope its not too late :rolleyes:
sorta silent from black 84

Mcall, hope that wasn't your way of helping someone who really doesn't know much about these cars. But thanks anway and the car is still in one peace.

Originally posted by black84
Mcall, hope that wasn't your way of helping someone who really doesn't know much about these cars. But thanks anway and the car is still in one peace.

Was only trying to get your attention on that post, before you hurt your motor. You would be breaking the most elementry rule to not "over boost"

You say Help/Advice ?
On this site you may get as much as you want.
However, don't forget the "Search' feature on this site, as probably every imaginable question has been ask one time or another. Much can be found in the ole archives of this site or the GN/T-Type site.

Now, its nice to here your engine is still together.
Once you learn more about these cars you will find out you don't run 19 lbs of boost on a stock setup with pump gas. There are many many factors to consider but your post led me to believe you were stock except for your fuel pump. You will need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to go with that pump so you can turn the pressure up with the boost. Or maybe you can get a performance chip for the fueling issues. You need a scan tool to tell you whats going on in the knock and air/fuel ratio Department.
If your beginning with this car then start with the above advice.
My knowledge comes from owning my car since it was new. etc. etc. I have paid for motor work and gone through more combinations than I care to admit.

In short there is a ton of research material in the archives I mention to get you from "mild to wild", if I may quote from the Buick gurus.

good luck,
Greg

Thanks Greg, appreciate the good advise. We new guys need help from guys like you that now the tricks to these cars.

Thanks again Andy:D