Installing a roller cam?

blackgn231

Money pit
ok guys do I really need to buy the cam kit to do this or can I use some of the stock stuff? I have new springs put on about 4 yrs ago along with a double roller chain. So can you use stock rocker arms and push rods? Can anyone tell me thanks :(

I would call Jack Cotton (on his honeymoon this week) or Cal Hartline (florida). Don't mess around....get some professional advice! I bought a roller hydraulic cam and got heads, cam, lifters, roller rockers, springs, and push rods from Jack...all at the same time. Worked great!
Conrad

Weber would be a great addition to my list!
Conrad

I would call Jack Cotton (on his honeymoon this week) or Cal Hartline (florida). Don't mess around....get some professional advice! I bought a roller hydraulic cam and got heads, cam, lifters, roller rockers, springs, and push rods from Jack...all at the same time. Worked great!
Conrad

+1. Me too, gotta love Cottons. Jack is a great guy to deal with.

springs need to be matched to the cam - roller needs more pressure.

Pushrods MUST BE checked - every one of'em

You're pushrods WILL be a different length than stock if you switch to a roller cam. Get a length checker and measure them as Blown&Injected stated. Also, you can use the stock rockers but I would recommend the heavy duty shafts. I used the stockers (shafts) and I had one break. Looks like the higher spring pressures put more load on the bottom of the shaft and it heats up and loses it's temper. Then it breaks and it sounds like you blew your engine.

To answer your specific question you will need the following.

1 roller cam
1 set of roller lifters
1 shim-able roller cam button
12 pushrods (you'll have to assemble the engine w/o pushrods and then measure and order)
1 set (12) of valve springs. (roller cams use more spring pressure)
All necessary gaskets and hardware.

Things you might need or things I would recommend.

New timing chain. (I would use a new chain because I don't like taking the cover off.)
-heavy duty shafts. (if you want to use stock rockers.
-The valve towers will need machining if you go with too much lift.
-new cam bearings (at least the front) if they're beat up.

I might have forgotten something but I don't think so.

So you think that HD rocker shafts & stock rocker arms should hold up? Would they be much quieter than say T&D roller rockers? I hate that sewing machine noise. Question is based on a low 11 sec car. Perfornance gain/loss is not an issue to me. Thanks & sorry for the Hijack!!

You're going to get some noise with a roller cam. I don't know how much noise roller rockers make in these cars as I've never had them. The cam alone will give you a little "sewing machine" sound. You'll also here the link bars a little unless you're going to do a retrofit with stock FWD stuff. I don't mind the noise. I just take it as something that comes with the roller cam and I love starting my car without wondering if this is the drive I lose a cam on. (I know the possibility exists, but I don't think it's as likely) The noise really isn't bad if everything is set up properly. Allot of people don't even notice it, I just know my car.