Indy stage intake

dank GN

BlackArts Automotive (661)993-8277
what would be a good price for a Indy intake manifold? And has anyone ran one on there stage setup in the street ?im looking at tuning this one just trying to find what a good price would be

Attachments

• IMG_6173.PNG
    IMG_6173.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 461
  • IMG_6171.PNG
    IMG_6171.PNG
    976.9 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_6172.PNG
    IMG_6172.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 391
I've seen only 1. It was on an engine that Jim Ruggles built, for a boat. Made some hellish power in the upper rpm, on the dyno pulls I saw. AIRC, it had twins on it. Never saw the boat run, but the engine ended up in the owners basement. My engine guy, Garry Grimes, built a 600+ CI BBC for it. Never heard why the vsicks was replaced.
Would be an interesting piece to try out. I would think it would take some "enginuity" to get a cam designed to get the lower end performance up.

So basically I'm thinking getting it running with with the TA heads then acquiring a set of stage 2 and possibly that intake manifold to go all out HP

That intake has more plenum and runner volume than any intake that I have seen. I was cautioned against using my Edelbrock tunnel ram with a huge angled plenum and told to run the carb intake instead. That intake will not work with the TA heads and I believe that those ports are wider than standard stage 2 heads. I would opt for the standard converted carb intake and let it eat. I see that intake as no benefit to you, sorry. You may even have to plumb your heads for coolant flow as I don't think that intake has a provision for a thermostat.

Yea I figured it wouldn't work on my TA heads that's why I would pick up a set of stage heads with the intake if I go that route.

Do a search on the Indy heads on the forum. The ports actually look like you can roll a golf ball thru them.

In 1988 I saw a Buick turbo V6 on a stand next to a Chevy Ilmor V8 on a tour through the Indy 500 museum.
The Chevy made 750 hp at 10,000 rpm.
The 3.8L Buick was destroked to 3.4L and made 820 hp at 11,500 rpm, so when they say it made good power in the upper rpm's, they mean waaay up there.
Very cool!

Don't spend thousands of dollars to make that intake work for you. You can go all out with convectional stuff that still retains the factory throttle linkage and brackets. Save your money and put it in a place where you can see the benefits. If you don't already have a set of StageII heads and intake on your motor, don't open a hornets net to have something different under the hood that won't yield any performance gains over factory style components (ie: Champion race intake, Champion aluminum or TA aluminum heads with a set of SS TA headers) My advice for you is to keep it simple. Going fast does not have to be complicated.

Yea I figured it wouldn't work on my TA heads that's why I would pick up a set of stage heads with the intake if I go that route.
You cant run that intake on StageII heads. It requires special Indy heads. They are not the same.

it can be done it's just not something that is easy to do . That sounds better then it can't be done . I appreciate the input and am going to check out this big ass lot of stage parts this guy has and will determine if there is some good parts to actually buy from this supposed massive stash of stage stuff. So I will be posting soon with my findings .

My buddy has the better part of one of those Indy motors sitting on the mezzanine in his garage collecting dust...... I don't think there is anything on it that could be converted to street use, not without major re-engineering, anyway.

Is it me or do the ports look rectangular and not square . So these would possibly line up with standard stage heads ? Agian I'm not saying that this would be some easy task but it sure isn't impossible in my eyes . I am going to go with my TA heads and I am actually making these headers I have had for awhile work . Then I would like to have another setup of something unique and different to be able to swap on at a later date . Thanks agian guys I do hear where you are coming from and i still haven't seen the parts in person so I will be optimistic till then .

Pics

Attachments

• IMG_6172.PNG
    IMG_6172.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 228
  • IMG_6171.PNG
    IMG_6171.PNG
    976.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_6285.JPG
    IMG_6285.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 221
That pic is of a late Indy engine. By the end of the Indy program the engine configuration was based on its own block casting, heads, cam, lifters, rockers etc. Early in the program they used the same heads as other Stage II race engines so it fair to say the intake Chris posted is more than likely from the early part of the IRL program.

Neal