I need help picking out a converter for my car

XBreed

I have no idea where to start on picking out a converter. Can someone lend me a hand and give me some guidance with this? I have an 87 GN stock turbo, stock intercooler, 36# injectors, 212/212 cam, and 373 gear in the back. I want it to be good on the street and the strip, so I'm not looking for anything crazy. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I have no idea where to start on picking out a converter. Can someone lend me a hand and give me some guidance with this? I have an 87 GN stock turbo, stock intercooler, 36# injectors, 212/212 cam, and 373 gear in the back. I want it to be good on the street and the strip, so I'm not looking for anything crazy. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Does the car have a stock trans trans and a d5 converter in it?does it have stock heads?

The d5 should be fine for that combo, I do think your over cam'ed and weak on the injector side, after market fuel pump?

Why do you feel you need a new converter? Is something wrong with it? List the rest of you parts. You've already got 2 wrong items not working for you.

Give me a call, I will be more than happy to discuss converter choices with you

What do I have not working for me? Some of these parts came with the car, the others were done thinking of future upgrades. It is a stock head, stock computer with a turbo tweak chip for the car. Not stock fuel pump, 255 LPH I believe (came with the car). Injectors came with the car. Stock trans as far as I know. It just doesn't seem to have the snort it should. Prior to the rebuild of the engine it was a low 12 sec car, Now I don't think it is anywhere near that. Is the cam to big? I was going to go with a 206 but was thinking at the time, long ago, of upgrading the turbo and intercooler so I wanted to have more room with the cam.

And before I get lit up to bad, I have never claimed to be an expert and I am here seeking advice not to be called a dumbass. I am not above making any changes that I need to. I just need to be told what to do, or suggestions on how to make what I have work better for me.

Ditch the gears, put the 3.42s back in. Many, many people have run 10s or better with 3.42s. 36s with a TT chip are good with the stock turbo, converter, heads and inertcooler. I ran mid 12s with them easy.. A 212 cam will raise the power peak beyond beyond you combo slowing you down. So if you want to go in the right direction without putting a smaller cam in, put heads that will flow on. You'll need more injector then and the next step up in a turbo, intercooler and coverter. Until then a converter will do nothing. I ran 11,7 on the stock converter.

I didn't think going to 3:73s would be a bad thing. I understand the cam issue. Is it worth switching out the cam?

Depends on your goals and money. Either will cost money, less if you the work yourself. The other thing that should be checked are the valve springs. I'm assuming the cam is a flat tappet. The cam would need stronger pressure. If the springs are weak you'll lose power. Another possibility is the cam has gone flat. Some of the new flat tappet cams are not lasting at all. A stock engine combo is all done a around 4800 rpm or less. 3.42 gears are perfect for that. Maybe if you had 30" tires the 3.73 gears would work. Turbos like to be loaded.

These cars like to pull not rev, .373s and any tire below 28" aren't going to be a good fit beyond the 1/8th mile, you will be shifting out of your power band with your combo.

3.73 is too much gear. Will hurt you in 1/4. Don't over cam or over turbo. A TA49 or TE44 will take you into 11s with the 36# inj. 206 roller will work with your combo and into the 10s

Your cam and gears are set up for higher rpms. Your turbo and converter are not. I would change out gears and go from there.

Verify fuel pump, turbo and converter and go from there.

Turbo makes the power. Converter determines at what rpm you make it and how broad a range you have. Fuel pump is essential to make the power. So are injectors for that matter.

Sounds like someone had a built motor and then took it apart sold off the parts and you have what's left.