How to put your alky res in the trunk

ttypewhite

I posted a picture of my tank in the trunk yesterday and am getting a lot of pm's on it. So instead of replying to them all, I will put this thread together.

I was having a issue with my alky reservoir being in the engine compartment. With my 5" downpipe, naturally it draws a lot of heat. On long cruises in the summer time, I have noticed that the alky is bubbling in the reservoir which is just a matter of time before it creates a problem. So I got a fuel cell from Racetronix and installed it in my trunk. I opted for the 5 gallon one they had. It has the proper screening inside to aide in the alcohol sloshing around, and also comes with a electronic fuel sending unit so I can run a guage into pod or dashboard inside the car.

http://racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp?ic=TANK-FT5GB&eq=&Tp=

I mounted it on my rear deck in between the back speakers. All the black fittings and telfon lines used for this install was from Racetronix as well and can be found on their website.

IMG_20160819_0249258_zpsdbfyc773.jpg

Ran a #8 ORB male fitting from the tank, to a #8 120 fitting, #8 teflon line, to a #8 45 fitting. Then drilled a hole into the trunk floor for a #8 bulk head fitting. Tightened it down and attached the line from the tank to it. Capped off all of the other ports and ran a vent at the top of the tank to the underside of the car.

IMG_20160819_0249539_zpszcjbavl3.jpg

On the bottom side of things, I mounted Razors alky pump close to the driver's side rear strut tower, grounded it to a spot I cleaned and scraped. Luckily enough, Razors electrical line that used to run into the engine compartment behind the passenger side head light to the alky pump was the correct length to reach behind to the back of the car where I mounted the pump. Not cutting or splicing required.

IMG_20160819_0242291_zpsu89duziv.jpg

Ran the proper #8 fittings to the #8 teflon line into the alky pump from the #8 bulk head fitting.

IMG_20160819_0241098_zpsb0p75agp.jpg

From the pump I retained Razors fitting for the feed, and the filter. From that I ran a teflon line from the back to the engine compartment where it connects to T, then splits into separate feeds to Razors fittings for the intercooler pipe.

IMG_20160904_1416150_zpshcfjynna.jpg

With the reservoir in the trunk, it cleans up a lot of space under the hood and just looks better not seeing a jug on that side anymore.

Last edited:
So no issues storing Methanol in aluminum? Really nice install man

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Don't think so. It's been a few yrs since I visited Ron, and the tank was discontinued, then.
Might call and ask.

No issues
Possibly check with Julio on this, maybe you don't need it?

But when I did my rear install, I explained to him what my intentions were. Along with the usual components, he sent me a very nice one-way brass check valve and a better than usual filter set-up. I don't remember why. My alky tank and pump are lower than my nozzles. But I used them anyway. I made up a fire wall mounting set-up for this stuff to hide behind.

The alky tank I used is a Jr. dragster plastic type (I like yours better). All the hoses and lines I made-up myself. Including a small brass 'splitter' manifold that accommodates a test gauge, alky pressure transducer, and the two ports to split alky to both nozzles.

Passenger side. See below.

IMG_0676.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0685.JPG
    IMG_0685.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 149
Pump and alky cell photos.

Attachments

• unspecified (11).jpg