How to maximize your SLIC.

SPOOLFOOL2

Fiberglass bumper filler dude. (949) 433-1257
Staff member
My boost activated, trap door, V4 SLIC, on steriods.
004 (5).jpg

Here are pics of my V4 SLIC that has been on my car now for about seven trouble free years. When I first got this V4, (thanks Neal Steward AKA 750H.P.V6) I noted that the shroud had a bad choke point against the sway bar that didn't need to be there. My new shroud uses the space behind the radiator fan (there's lots) to increase air flow.

full
001 (3).jpg

Next, I had a crazy idea to make the bottom of this shroud drop down while under boost, to help make the air inlet even bigger. It would need to be in the up position while not in boost for speed bump clearance, especially since my car sits 1" lower in the front.

Trap door shroud in up position (0 lbs boost).
installedClosed.jpg

Trap door shroud in down position (5 lbs boost while on the trans brake).
installedOpen.jpg

In this photo, you can see the differences between the stock IC on the bottom. The original V4 shroud in the middle, and the custom shroud sitting on the V4 in the top pic. Note: in this pic, the custom shroud is in the closed position, and still has a bigger opening than the V4 shroud.
full
002 (3).jpg

Pic of shroud mocked up with trap door in open position.
P1110053.jpg

Closed position.
full
003 (3).jpg

Open position.
full
004 (3).jpg

Closed position.
belowClosed.jpg

Open position, while blowing compressed air into the actuator.
belowOpen.jpg

A couple bucks worth of aluminun.

a name youll remember.jpg

full

Last edited:
Page #2

Finished product. After heliarcing, and powder coating.
full
008.jpg

Inlet and out necks were also cleaned up.
full
009.jpg

full

full
011.jpg

full

full
full
013.jpg

Well, there it is. I'd love to tell you guys that I've got air temp, or pressure data from before and after, but I don't. Maybe some day when I get a chance, I will. This car does put down 507 HP to the wheels. does the 1/4 mile in 10.87 @122 mph. this is with 91 oct gas, razors alky, and combo below. BIG THANKS to my good freind Jed Smith for helping me design and fab this thing. It's nice to have a neighbor that builds and designs airplanes for a hobby, and rockets for a living.;)

Other notes: This actuator starts to open at 5 psi, and is fully open by about 9 psi. When I let off the gas, it snaps shut in about 1 or 2 seconds. Not sure what it came off of. It was given to me by someone that wasn't sure where they got it. There were a bunch of numbers on it and the box that it came in. Here they are (Damper Motor, 8-13, 331-4810, s pr product,) (Motor and Accessories, EXS 331-4811, 019743) If anyone knows where to find these, post it up. I'd like to have an extra on the shelf.

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

Last edited:
New project............................:biggrin:

You still running the stock front sway bar?

I love your first set of pictures :biggrin:.

That was just my rough draft, that I did in one minute. Had no intention of posting it, untill I started to run out of time to use the computer. Oh well.:D

Believe it, or not. I have two years of college drafting.:eek:

Mike B.

id love to get my hands on this scoop

as my scoop will look alot better when it's finished i plan on redoing it and getting it straighter with a stock look. but man you got some freinds with alot of brains that came fab up some cool stuff. after looking for a replacement i went to pep boys and bought the fiberglass kit. i know it'll take a few dry runs before i get it right but i plan on getting it looking good before i install it back on the GN.

"It's nice to have a neighbor that builds and designs airplanes for a hobby, and rockets for a living." Indeed. Is the house on the other side of him for sale?

Other notes: This actuator starts to open at 5 psi, and is fully open by about 9 psi. When I let off the gas, it snaps shut in about 1 or 2 seconds. Not sure what it came off of. It was given to me by someone that wasn't sure where they got it. There were a bunch of numbers on it and the box that it came in. Here they are (Damper Motor, 8-13, 331-4810, s pr product,) (Motor and Accessories, EXS 331-4811, 019743) If anyone knows where to find these, post it up. I'd like to have an extra on the shelf.

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

Very nice! Google is your friend, a search for "331-4810 damper" turned up hits at Siemans who makes it, plus lots of distributors. Don't know if the Siemens url will work or not:

Siemens Industry Inc. - BT (USA) - 331-4810

and for example https://estore.industrialcontrolsonline.com/default.aspx?page=item detail&itemcode=331-4810

Hey, preview looks good :). I'm sure this is an industry standard part made by several companies, and should be available at local HVAC suppliers plus mail order.

Nice.

Very nice! Google is your friend, a search for "331-4810 damper" turned up hits at Siemans who makes it, plus lots of distributors. Don't know if the Siemens url will work or not:

Siemens Industry Inc. - BT (USA) - 331-4810

and for example https://estore.industrialcontrolsonline.com/default.aspx?page=item detail&itemcode=331-4810

Hey, preview looks good :). I'm sure this is an industry standard part made by several companies, and should be available at local HVAC suppliers plus mail order.

Well everyone, there it is. If anyone else wants to make one, knock your self out.

Another what?

thats awesome..got another one? :)

Rocket scientist neighbor, with a degree in aeronautical engineering?

OR

A one off, boost activated, trap door, SLIC?

I HAVE been pondering the idea of remaking another one of these, but using one of the new Precision SLICs. The V4 was a great SLIC for it's time. The Precision is much nicer, and should flow alot better, but the shroud has the same choke point.

For those that say, "just get a front mount". I say, "I don't need a front mount. I just need a intercooler that performs like one". A SLIC isn't stacked up with a radiator, AC, trans cooler, etc. So, if you can get clean air too it, it should perform just about as good as a FM. The main thing that I look for in a SLIC is a low pressure drop for the boost to go through. If I don't get every bit of heat transfer with a SLIC, I've got the alky spraying right after to finish the job.;)

Since I've posted this yesterday, Three people have asked, how much I'd charge to make them one. Well, with the time that I've got into this thing, if I sold it for a thousand bucks, I'd loose money. I'd need to make them at least ten at a time to make sense. If someone else wants to do it, go for it. I don't have that much time on my hands. Also, if it did sell, you'd see Chinese ones within weeks. Now, if RJC, Jack Cotton, or TA wanted to run with it, that would be great to see. Untill then, You guys have my blessing to copy mine till the cows come home.:D

Thanks for the positive responses. Makes me want to go out to my garage and make more stuff.:)

Next, I'll post pics of my one-off, aluminum, turbo shield.

Mike Barnard