How to identify valve bodies?

edfiero1

I have an issue with my 84 TR shifting too soon.
I am pretty sure the TV cable is the correct length and adjusted correctly. So I think the problem is the governor is not correct/ has wrong springs.

The car was sold to me as having a 'rebuilt tranny'. However it does not appear to be the original tranny because I know for a fact that the Speed-o gears were not correct for a TR.

If the gears were wrong, governor is likely wrong too. My understanding is that I can't simply put in a TR/GN governor without having a matching valve body or the shift points will still be messed up.

The VB supposedly has a Trans-go kit in it already. If that is correct, do I still need to worry about it being 'matched' to the governor, or would the kit have corrected most of the problems with the inferior VB's ??

How do I identify the VB I have to be sure, and does anyone have a good source for a TR/GN Valve Body assuming I need a new one??

It's most likely the wrong transmission. Look on the tag on the right side of the transmission near the tail shaft and read the letters. That will identify what transmission it is. If the paint is gone and you can't read the letters there is a series of numbers and letters stamped on the tag at the bottom. Post those numbers and we may be able to identify it. There are letters stenciled on the side of the valve body that may identify it but you will have to drop the pan to see them. The shift kit will not correct the shift points. It only affects the shift firmness.

Another thing to check is the servo. It is a round aluminum piece in the pass side of the trans. Should have cast numbers in it that end in 692 for that 84-85 bq trans.

It's most likely the wrong transmission. Look on the tag on the right side of the transmission near the tail shaft and read the letters. That will identify what transmission it is. If the paint is gone and you can't read the letters there is a series of numbers and letters stamped on the tag at the bottom. Post those numbers and we may be able to identify it. There are letters stenciled on the side of the valve body that may identify it but you will have to drop the pan to see them. The shift kit will not correct the shift points. It only affects the shift firmness.

1. I tried to read the identification code on the side of the trans to see exactly what I am dealing with, but I don't recognize this code. As I read it the tag it says 'GTF'. What is that? I know about CZF, BRF, KZF, but I can't find any reference to a GTF. The full code is 130-89?GTF0492. Not quite sure what the digit is before the G. Could be a 1. I have pics to upload, but I'm getting an error when trying to upload. Maybe the file size is too big.

2. I got a nice set of gauges to test the line pressure, just to confirm the problem is with the Governor and valve body and not the TV Cable or something else. I connected the hose to the port on the passengers side. It screwed right in perfectly, but when I start up the car, I get nothing on the gauge. Park, or Drive makes no difference. 0 reading. What the heck would cause that? I can blow into the end of the gauge and get it to register 2 or 3 pounds so the gauge is working.

You need to attach it to the port on the drivers side. The passenger port is for 4th gear pressure.

I've never heard of GTF. Are you sure it's not CTF?

You need to attach it to the port on the drivers side. The passenger port is for 4th gear pressure.

I've never heard of GTF. Are you sure it's not CTF?

Thanks for the info. The plate is hard to read, but yes, I think an argument could be made that it is a C rather than a G.

I'll check again on the test port. I thought it was on the drivers side, but when I checked the place where I thought the port would be, there was no threaded plug to remove. Instead it looked like a small non-removable freeze plug on an engine block. Maybe I was in the wrong place. I'll re-check.