? how much rpm drop?

I'm seeing 400-500 rpm drop. Doesn't seem like enough to me. How much drop are you getting?

drop??

Lee, I have been looking at this situation for a couple yrs. Here's what I've seen and been told at various times.
My 1st problem verter was an ATD... Drop was 50 to 100 rpm. Conclusion: Mfgr said I was "driving over the converter".. Way too loose. Was supposed to be 3500.. ended up well over 4500!
Tightened it up. Got to 500. I was then told "close and would not be of concern"...
The above was the same verter reworked.. a 9". The mfgr then said "you need a 10"".., but I have no cores.. Another way of saying take your problem elsewhere... Over $800 in the toilet.
I also found that the slip was near 15%:eek:
I then tried a "Texas Art Carr" no dice there either.. too loose.

I then changed to a 10" unit w/ 3500 stall, from TCI. MPH went from 127 to 133. Slip went to less than 5%.:cool: The 60' times were about .10 slower,[ I think that is due to the tuneup being fat] but 1/8th went from 6.58 to 6.50 and the MPH went from 105 to 108. Drop on the shifts is consistently in the 850 to 1000 RPM area on the data logs.
This is the area I was told would be the optimum...

HTH,;) ;)

rpm

Thanks for the replys. Good solid info Chuck. My sons car is the one in ? He has a 3500 Precision Industries N/L. His drop is maybe a little over 300 using Direct scan. I just got off the phone with Precision Ind. He assured me that is right. My ? is since my con. is a 3000 P. I. L/U and I get 700-800 drop( prior to L/U) we were feeling that his should drop more than 300. Isin/t it funny how a company never makes a defective product, always the consumers fault. I always felt if you make a 1000 products and only get 1 defect, thats a good percentage. I always get thet 1.

IMHO you should be seeing 800-900rpm drop at the shifts (WOT).

Some higher stall converters (poorly made) are just very inefficient.

I high quality piece should yield 800+ rpm drops at the shifts.

Re: rpm

Originally posted by Lee Thompson
Thanks for the replys. Good solid info Chuck. My sons car is the one in ? He has a 3500 Precision Industries N/L. His drop is maybe a little over 300 using Direct scan. I just got off the phone with Precision Ind. He assured me that is right. My ? is since my con. is a 3000 P. I. L/U and I get 700-800 drop( prior to L/U) we were feeling that his should drop more than 300. Isin/t it funny how a company never makes a defective product, always the consumers fault. I always felt if you make a 1000 products and only get 1 defect, thats a good percentage. I always get thet 1.
U R right on there, Lee!
Let me guess, you told him up ft what the drop was, and he agreed!!!:mad: Another case of the easy way out!
300 is a good sign they sent you something that had little or no application theory behind it...
In my case, the guy I dealt with said that the tranny guy that ordered it, had told him "send me one just like the last one I got". The problem was the last 1 he got was for a BBC on N2O!!!
When I demanded my $$ back, the tranny guy said call them and see what they will do.. I can't afford to give you that much$$..
My ? to the supplier was when he got that kind of a request, why did he not ask more ??'s..DUH!!!

I haven't seen alot of good posts on that mfgr lately..
Can you get it re-stalled on their 1 free stall change deal??? TELL them what you expect and go from there....
If you get the run around, use the forum to expose the BS they pulled.