how much end play on a roller cam?

Set my at .005, I was advised to shoot for under .008 but no tighter than .004

.005 is too tight unless you have a torrington bearing for a thrust. I like .010-.012. I wiped a cam thrust a .005.

.005 is too tight unless you have a torrington bearing for a thrust. I like .010-.012. I wiped a cam thrust at .005.

I do have the torrington bearing set up from Webbers, that's where they recommended.

Is the Torrington only for oddfire nose cams or is there a simular setup for the evenfire ductile roller cams?

Is the Torrington only for oddfire nose cams or is there a simular setup for the evenfire ductile roller cams?

I make all mine Torrington now. Just turn the back of the cam thrust and use the cam to locate the bearing and shim to .004-.005 end play. The bearing i use is a Summit small block Chevey thrust bearing.

Somebody said easy to remember .007 and it is workin' for me so far.

McMaster Carr has a great shim kit.

Attachments

• Picture 406.jpg
    Picture 406.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 236
I make all mine Torrington now. Just turn the back of the cam thrust and use the cam to locate the bearing and shim to .004-.005 end play. The bearing i use is a Summit small block Chevey thrust bearing.

How To post or atleast general proceedures? I'd like to do this as I have a stage II drysump cover that has been milled I think for the Oddfire nose and wondering what to do about it.

How To post or atleast general proceedures? I'd like to do this as I have a stage II drysump cover that has been milled I think for the Oddfire nose and wondering what to do about it.

PM me your email. I just turned the back of the cam down. This is for the ductile cams Comp sells. It was really easy and didnt require anything other than a lathe, the bearing, and a cam button with some shims. You can not use the spring loaded type with the torrington. You have to be sure the cam cannot thrust forward like it could with the spring loaded type or the bearing wont be located by the cam anymore.