how to make a gbody handle

gear644

Banned
what tricks have been done to get these cars to handle some good turns, im not looking to autocross the car just want it to handle fairly good, i heard that you can upgrade the front swaybar to a late 80s camaro or firebird? and switch out the rear springs with a mid 90s f-body? any suggestions is deeply appreciated

Lots of options and Lots of opinions :biggrin:

My first set-up, which I was Very happy with, even as a daily driver:
Heavier front swaybar.
Lowering springs.
Bilstein Shocks.
Bigger wheels and Wider tires.

Also, Better rear trailing arms.
Some people like a heavy rear sway bar, But I ran the stock rear bar (after breaking a heavy rear bar) and I loved the balance.

If you are looking for more All-Out, check out Savitske Classic & Custom and Spohn Performance :: Chassis / Suspension / Drivetrain

This is my current project:
Watts Link.
Adjustable upper A-arms.
Tall ball joints.
Currectrac trailing arms.
F-body 36mm hollow front sway bar.
Spohn Pro-touring rear sway bar (Still Waiting)
Spohn bump steer kit
Even Bigger wheels and Even Wider tires.
:eek:

I am surprised no one mentioned about reinforcing the flexy frame we have. Helps out alot.

thanks for the input what year and make did you get the front swaybar from and i think it carries a special option code?

I do not know the years or models or option codes. Just keep an eye out in the "Parts for Sale" section. You will find 34mm and 36mm hollow F-body swaybars for sale pretty often. I think all the hollow bars fit. You may also want to do a search to find out more info, as some people have had trouble with the bolts pulling out with the 36mm bar.

As for reinforcing the frame, that is something everyone should do. The easiest way is the bolt-on braces. Kirban Performance sells them all, front frame braces, front cross brace, rear seat braces, under hood braces, etc.

:biggrin:

GNs typically handle like old farm trucks. My set-up handles way better than my WS6 TA,
- Bilstien shocks
- Global West upper & lower control arms
- Global West rear lower control arms
- ATR springs (from drop ~1-1/2", rate wound rears)
- Air bags (7.5 psi for streaat, 35 psi for racing)
- ATR 1-3/8" rear sway bar
- BFG KDs, 275-40-17 (F) 315-35-17 (R)
- Baer 13" discs F & R
- GNX 3-link rear suspension with new bushings
- GNX frame reinforments and seat braces

1LE is the option you are looking for on the F-Bodies for a larger front swaybar. As far as the bolts pulling out while using a 36mm bar, thats becuase of improper installation. Not the bar or the car's fault.

Moog 5658 front springs
Moog 5413 rear

New MOOG problem solver bushings in the front crontrol arms

34 or 36mm Hollow front swaybar

Decent rear swaybar

Boxed or solid lower rear control arms

This set up will do wonders for the car for a cheap price.

If you want something a little more elaborate, get a set of Howes tall ball joints and a set of adjustabe front upper control arms to help out with bump steer.

Check out this thread for a lot of good info:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/br...ls/244936-moog-5658-front-spring-results.html

i really appreciate everyones input ill be going to the junk and looking for this sway bar and ill gather up the rest of the parts once some $$$$ starts flowing in

This new spindle setup is sick. matched with a 13" Baer brake kit. This would be the perfect setup for a bolt on pro-touring G-body.

Street-Comp AFX - featuring ATS spindles

Street-Comp AFX is the result of a combined effort by SC&C and ATS featuring application specific adj. tubular upper arms and the radical new AFX forged aluminum spindles with the following features:
-Super light weight 2.9lbs.
-1.4" taller for improved camber curves and roll center with minimal tire wear
- Super heavy duty C5/C6 Corvette hub/bearing packs with wheel speed sensors
- Integral mounts for C5/C6 Corvette brakes
- Relocated steering arms mounting holes for near zero bumpsteer
- A and G body spindles include A and G body specific steering arms
- 7/8" drop in ride height
Get the ULTIMATE in bolt on street performance with Street-Comp AFX

A larger rear sway bar will make he car feel as though it handles better more than a front sway bar.

A G-body understeers a lot from the factory. A larger front swaybar will flatten the cornering, but it will still understeer.

A larger rear bar will turn the back end the car, reduce understeer and make the car feel like it handles much better.

Freeboost has a nice setup for sure, can you post your rim B.S.?
Running his tire setup would rival any other bolt on performance suspension part.

I wouldn't do a front sway bar first, you'll be disappointed in your stock 32mm to 34 or 36mm F Body sway bar swap. I noticed nothing different other than a pain the ass bolt on process though I'm sure it helps a tad over the 32mm on turns.

Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners, Kirban's front & rear stock height 25% stiffer springs on all 4 corners, Savitske's stage II front upper control arms with Howe tall ball joints, BMR upper rear fully adjustable control arms with 1LE rubber at rear & spherical rod ends at front side, Global West lower rear control arms with Del-A-Lum bushings at the rear & spherical rod ends at the front side, Kirban's rear seat brace, Kirban's set of 3 triangular stiffner lower frame ties, GTA front 16" rims on all 4 corners shod with Michelin Pilot Sport rubber. I am leaving thr front roll bar alone as I feel that it is stiff enough on the front end, and at the rear I have a 1" Global West bar that will be getting replaced with a 1 3/8" ATR replica bar as soon as I can get it mounted.
Coming up shortly (Christmas Holidays) will be Tom's lightweight precision steering box & matching coupler as sold by Marc Savitske.
AFAIK, I'm out of ideas, anybody got any more.

Attachments

• Sept. 10 010s.jpg
    Sept. 10 010s.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 3,294
Here's my plan:
SC&C AFX kit
C6 brakes all around
HR full rear susp kit
Hotchkis front SB (or Spohn)
Tubular front LCAs
CCW 18" "classics" with black centers and polished lip