How I made 1 pc. fiberglass rear bumper filler.

SPOOLFOOL2

Fiberglass bumper filler dude. (949) 433-1257
Staff member
I'd like to post how I crafted a bumper filler, mostly from scratch. I also wanted to document the fact that I actually did make 90% of this thing myself. I only had help from one local surfboard shapper for about 20 hours of the 200 hours that I have into it.

First off, this is not some reworked POS. Every square inch of this, is either new or splashed off an original, then extensively reworked.

Hole locations templates were made. Two sets of very nice original fillers (and parts of) were splashed as starting points for the ends and long straight sections.
full
001 (1).jpg

The hardest part.
The center section was first made with paper patterns, then formed with aluminun, then splashed with fiberglass.
full
002 (1).jpg

full
003 (1).jpg

004 (1).jpg

full

The long strips in the pic below ended up not being used.
full
005 (1).jpg

Fiberglass parts splashed off aluminum ones.
full
006 (1).jpg

The bottom piece in my hand was 1/2" thick and made from a surfboard fin blank. I needed it to be thick to make sure it stayed flat, and give a nice reflection when done.
full
007 (1).jpg

Smooting and filling. Many hours.
016.jpg

full
008 (1).jpg

full

More to follow.

Last edited:
Here's the finished plug that we made the mold off of. Notice the turnbuckels inside the ends.
full
001.jpg

First and second parts out of the mold.
full
002.jpg

full

Not bad for gellcoat.:)
full
003.jpg

004.jpg

full

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

Last edited:
Didn't know your real name was Micky Dolenz, Mike.:p If you've got a "blem" unit I'll take it.;) Lord knows I'll make it work on my blem of a car.:D

Nice work, Mike.
Those are some clean fillers and your attention to quality and detail shows in the finished pieces.

Mike
I have to say, your a true craftsman! most of us do not have the ability to see something like this completed,
we have ideas, but you follow thru and complete your ideas.
you should be very proud of your accomplishments, over the yrs ,I've seen your attention to details, like the alternator finish, turbo cover,
and the rims!!!!!
Thanks for all you do.
I for one, really admire your contributions to the Buick community!:)
Thanks!
Lee

The front fiberglass fillers are coming along nicely. The fit and finish should be equal to the rears. They will also be hand layed fiberglass and have the correct groove for the headlight bezel to fit into. Final jell coat will be gloss black. First, a very nice set of originals (thanks Gary Wells;)) were trimmed and braced up in the correct position.

Garybumperfillers065.jpg

Garybumperfillers067.jpg

Next, molds were made off of these parts. Then, new fiberglass parts (plugs) were made from those molds. Here's a "rough" plug.
frbumperfillers010.jpg

frbumperfillers006.jpg

frbumperfillers003.jpg

frbumperfillers008.jpg

frbumperfillers007.jpg

These parts are now getting cleaned up and modified into the final plugs, which the final molds will be made off of.

Sooooooon. :)

More to come.

Mike Barnard

Man.... it just keeps getting better and better.... thanks for all the R&D and hard work...

aaron

Seen your attention to detail through the years :cool: . . . Subscribed . . . .

The front fiberglass fillers are coming along nicely. The fit and finish should be equal to the rears. They will also be hand layed fiberglass and have the correct groove for the headlight bezel to fit into. Final jell coat will be gloss black. First, a very nice set of originals (thanks Gary Wells;)) were trimmed and braced up in the correct position.

Garybumperfillers065.jpg

Garybumperfillers067.jpg

Next, molds were made off of these parts. Then, new fiberglass parts (plugs) were made from those molds. Here's a "rough" plug.
frbumperfillers010.jpg

frbumperfillers006.jpg

frbumperfillers003.jpg

frbumperfillers008.jpg

frbumperfillers007.jpg

These parts are now getting cleaned up and modified into the final plugs, which the final molds will be made off of.

Sooooooon. :)

More to come.

Mike Barnard

Mike, these are looking awesome and great detail work as the rears..... Are they in production yet? Will they be available before the second to the third week of Sept?

As with the rears, they took longer but came out better than I expected. The fronts are going the same way. Right now it looks like we're still at least four weeks away. I'll keep everyone in the loop as we get closer.

Thanks for all the support.:)

Mike B.