High boost launches w/ stock converter?!

Roc87

11 Second V6
I've been reading here on the board of track techniques, and I'm wondering, How are you guys getting 8-15psi of boost to launch with a stock torque converter? I'm planning on adding my PT51 and a THDP before I go up to Pueblo on the 9th, but right now on 245/50/16 BFG comp ta's and stock turbo, holding the brakes HARD I can only manage about 2 psi of boost before the tires let go. I doubt if I can get 6psi more of boost from just changing to my MT ET Streets (26x10.5-15) - OR.....Can I??

First check to see that you are getting at least 2400 out of your converter before the tires spin.

Then, crank up the air in the right rear bag to 20 psi and leave the left with the minimum. Buy a set of rear brake shoes and swap in the 2 long ones for the two short one you currently have.

On your launch, hold as much as you think you can without spinning and as the christmas tree lights come down, bury the gas pedal (while still on the brakes) then release the brakes.

This will simultaneously spool the turbo, flash the converter and bog the motor enough so the brakes will hold just a little more boost. You'll need those ET's to get it to stick, however.

You can get a WHOLE lot more boost on the line with slicks or stickies. How much exactly depends on your brakes(S-10 rear wheel cyl's help), new pads up front.

i managed 15psi on the stock convertor using the e-brake, but its not a wise thing to do ALL the time....it worked for me to a point...BUT i lost a drive shaft 2 weeks later....so who knows :p
Dan

hehehehe

I have done Ebrake 20psi launches and 20psi T-brake launches. No matter how you slice it, its fun as hell!

I love the stock convertor that thing takes a beating!!

1.56 :D

E-Brake launch?

Now that sounds like a whole lot o fun!!! Leaving work tonight, I doubt if I make it out of parking lot before trying that!!!!

and yes it is possible to get high boost launches with a few cheap/free things, but it really does stress the driveline ALOT, expect more breackages.

Check for an exhaust leak before the turbo. I had the same problem: roll through the lights before I could get more than 2# of boost. Driver's side header wasn't tight (or flat) enough at the block, and the leak wasn't letting the turbo spool up.