Hello all. Having thoughts...

JCam550

Hey everyone. I've been reading the forums for a while now but haven't posted. I'm having the urge to get another 87 GN. I had one back in the 90's and it was one of my favorite cars that I've owned. I currently have a 04 Comp Orange Terminator Cobra that is a blast to drive and is beautiful, but I've been looking at the GNs lately and trying to decide if I should sell it to buy a GN. Wife says one toy so the cobra would have to go.
I'm so torn. Any thought or input would be appreciated.
Thanks. This is a great site.

Depending on what you want to do with the car, a GN might be more finicky in nature and require more upkeep and maintenance than the Cobra, especially 30 years later. But if you don't mind that and willing to get your hands dirty, then it's GN all the way. Just need to buy wisely to avoid inheriting someone else's nightmare. Those can empty your pockets and patience quickly.

Not much of a Ford guy myself but I kinda like the look of those 04 Cobra's especially in orange :cool: Either way it's a great "problem" to have :)

It is a great "problem" to have. I do realize the age difference between them. I don't mind turning a wrench, but your right, the GN will need more upkeep. Definitely something to consider.

I think it all depends on what you are looking for. The GN takes some getting used to. I mean it has some of the best and worst engineering of the time period. Friends I take for ride who have 'modern' performance cars love (and I do mean love) the look and acceleration my car has, but almost all of them comment on the squeaks, rattles, wind noise (when windows are closed) that my car makes. Coming from a mustang you also might be used to a different level of, amenities as well (You know, things like cup holders haha).

If you are looking for a power rush, the TR's can for sure provide it, but as 626 mentioned, it can take patience to 'dial one in' and buying someone elses headache can spoil your taste for our cars (and like he said there goes your wallet). I encourage you too hook up the Turbo Buick community in your area. I think we universally never get tired of talking about our cars and we are not shy about telling you straight up what our experiences have been. Ultimately they will be your best source for getting your new purchase sorted out and dialing it in. Getting to know them ahead of time could help you 'dial in' whether or not you would enjoy one better than your Mustang.

If you find one you are thinking of getting, feel free to post the pics and details here. It is amazing to me what guys can tell off of a single pic of an engine bay. They can tell you some visual indicators of things you should look closer at and get you armed with questions for the seller. TAKE YOUR TIME in making your selection. The biggest mistake people make is jumping at the first GN that catches their eye thinking they will never find another one. I looked for almost 3 years before i bought mine, and it has been everything I had hoped for.

Good luck in your decision!

I'd buy the GN and keep the Cobra as well..........tell the wife too bad so sad. :D
I own an 87 Turbo T and a '71 GS Buick. Recently told the wife I wouldn't mind having a HC too..........she said go get it!

My garage contains an 87 Grand National and a 67 Mustang Fastback GTA. I also have a wife that likes hot rods.

Welcome to the boostaholics anonymous meeting.

Maybe you could put her in therapy too. :D

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Mike Barnard

Thanks everyone for the replies. My Cobra has turned me in to a boostaholic for sure. I ported the blower and added a smaller pulley, along with appropriate mods. She does 526 RWHP. Now I want more. Haha.
I've always loved the look of the GN. I think it's one of the most beautiful cars to come out of the 80's. I guess I have some thinking to do. I appreciate everyone reminding me of the things to realize with these cars. It's been over 20 years since I've owned a GN.

With regard to the squeaks and rattles, Dialtone was right on. My '87 33k mile Gn squeaked and rattled like nobody's business when I first got it. Installed all new (stock rubber) body bushings, new KYB gas shocks, SC&C front triangular chassis brace , UMI rear shock towers brace and "TinMan's sheet metal GNX brace behind the back seat. Squeaks/ rattles effectively eliminated 99% and it drives like a different car. Working on wind noise now. So , with a little bit of forethought and tweaking , one can make it a lot nicer to drive.
As far as cup holders go, Kirban's sells a nice slip over / removable console with an armrest and cup holders too. I like mine.