Have to rebuild engine

raregn

Addicted to BOOST
So as the title says I have to rebuild my engine. Took it out for the first cruise of the season last Friday and it started knocking. Not how I wanted to start the summer.
Pulled the motor and found #5 rod bearing mashed out, but at least it didn't spin. all the rod bearings were badly worn, mains are not bad.
Want to put a bit of a cam in it while it's apart. What would be a good upgrade? Don't want anything crazy, just want it to sound a little better.

I don't think a cam helps the motor sound much better. That turbo and v6 sound can't match a strong lumpety lumpety V8 for sound.
I did go with a 206/206 during a rebuild. Still sounds stock but I think it raised the powerband a bit.

In the early 1990's I wanted the same thing when I rebuilt the engine on my first GN, enough cam to tell it was not stock, but street manners were a must, so I used a 214/210 hydraulic roller cam.

Over the many years since, this has been one of our popular cams used with mild build engine upgrades.

Thanks for the info, like I said I don't want to go crazy. Just want something a little bigger while its open.
I have used a 204/214 duration .448/.472 intake/exhaust lift in the past on other builds and it has had good manners.
Car will still have the stock turbo (out getting re-built as well). and it has the original exhaust system still on it.
Have 30lb injectors with turbo tweak chip and a stock 237 fuel pressure regulator.

What are thoughts on flat tappet vs roller camshafts?

Fat tappet cams belong in a museum not a Buick V6.

the savings of a few hundred bucks aren't worth the damage they do when the go flat and you have to buy a roller

...and a turbo, and a new oil cooler, and a new engine rebuild.....

I have a 206/206 roller and it works well, idles smooth as silk, and no downsides.

Nick built mine with a 214/210 hydraulic roller cam setup. Idles great and sounds almost "V8ish" at a stop light.
I like it.

Go small on a turbo cam for the street, and go roller too!
You'll NEVER get a V6, Turbo or NA, to sound like a V8 with a rumpity idle, theres not enough cylinders:nailbiting:

Go small on a turbo cam for the street, and go roller too!
You'll NEVER get a V6, Turbo or NA, to sound like a V8 with a rumpity idle, theres not enough cylinders:nailbiting:

I don't know enough about our cars to argue the point / offer specifics as to why. However, I'm not real sure about the 2 missing cylinders holding you back! In that, prior to coming here, I've owned a whole bunch of old Jeeps. And I've had a few of them that had the old 258 ci (4.2 liter) inline six with split manifold headers. And I don't know why exactly, but, that 258 (or even the old Buick V6 versions) that could be made to sound just like a V8 with the right mufflers and tail pipes.

Matter of fact, I had a built 258 six in one old CJ7 that had a full RV cam in it, offenhauser aluminum intake, edelbrock 4 bbl carb, full length split manifold headers and Flow Master Duals straight out the back that sounded like a Nasty V8! And this is no joke I used to pull up at a red light, only to get pulled over so that people could see for themselves whenever they'd ask! "Man what in the hell do you have in that thing?" And when I'd say straight six, they'd be like no way! And so in became the process every time. (This little Jeep was nasty sounding and it had so much Torque that it would lift the left front tire easily every time you got traction 1st, 2nd, 3rd).

The problem is that all of those Jeeps were N/A and not Turbo, or forced indication vehicles. And that is what is so different with our cars, as I'm sure that all that overlap would create all sorts of cylinder pressurization issues and the like. And I'm sure that somebody with far more turbo Buick knowledge than me can explain it better. However, big cams aren't as conducive to our little huffers has always been my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 206 / 206 works for me . It's the rest of the combo that makes it run . I kinda like that angry sound a stout V6 makes under boost ! :eek:

I am going to be sticking with a flat tappet camshaft, roller is just to expensive with the weak dollar right now. sourcing parts from the US is not realistic at $1.40 per US dollar + customs and brokerage it is just about double the price in the catalogue, Will cost about &1500 to go roller now.
Engine builder recommended a 212/212, also going 30 over with forged pistons. Flat tappet has worked for over 100 years, just need to put the right additives in the oil to keep it alive.
I agree roller is the way to go, but the build budget won't allow it at this time. Not just doing the engine, have to get the turbo done as its full of bearing material and I figured what the hell... do the transmission too. redline clutches and band, transgo stage 2 shift kit etc etc. Transmission isn't costing me anything, a good friend is a transmission guy and he is doing it for free... I have to fix his Cummins for free for him in return. good thing I'm a diesel technician. Something about when his son walks to close with an ice cream cone, or if the sun goes behind a cloud it won't start :D

Actually when the shop tore he turbo down, it's so bad it can't even be re-built. I had a spare stock turbo, hope that one is a good core.

I am going to be sticking with a flat tappet camshaft, roller is just to expensive with the weak dollar right now. sourcing parts from the US is not realistic at $1.40 per US dollar + customs and brokerage it is just about double the price in the catalogue, Will cost about &1500 to go roller now.
Engine builder recommended a 212/212, also going 30 over with forged pistons. Flat tappet has worked for over 100 years, just need to put the right additives in the oil to keep it alive.
I agree roller is the way to go, but the build budget won't allow it at this time. Not just doing the engine, have to get the turbo done as its full of bearing material and I figured what the hell... do the transmission too. redline clutches and band, transgo stage 2 shift kit etc etc. Transmission isn't costing me anything, a good friend is a transmission guy and he is doing it for free... I have to fix his Cummins for free for him in return. good thing I'm a diesel technician. Something about when his son walks to close with an ice cream cone, or if the sun goes behind a cloud it won't start :D
Actually when the shop tore he turbo down, it's so bad it can't even be re-built. I had a spare stock turbo, hope that one is a good core.

Have you checked the for sale section ?? Cams are always for sale there .