Guess I should have asked first...which AR-15?

S10xGN

RETIRED!
Hi All,

I have a RRA 5.56 Coyote Carbine on order and am having second thoughts. I have a new RRA .308 carbine that refuses to cycle cheap (Prvi Partisan) ammo. RRA has been helpful and I really do need to try some US brand stuff to be sure, but my thoughts are it's a mechanical issue. If US ammo doesn't work, I plan to have a gunsmith check out the chamber with a set of headspace gauges. If I cannot run cheap ammo, it's up for sale...

What brand AR in 5.56/.223 will safely handle any cheap ammo?

What brand AR in 7.62/.308 will safely handle any cheap ammo?

My Bushmaster has seen approx 500 rds of Wolf coated steel case .223 & only one fail to feed. I have also shot good brass too. It functions well with both.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

If the Prvi Partisan is 7.62mm and you running it through a .308 chamber, that could be causing your problems. You should only use .308 in a .308 chamber.
If the new RRA is a 5.56 chamber (not .223) you should not have problems with either ammo.

If the Prvi Partisan is 7.62mm and you running it through a .308 chamber, that could be causing your problems. You should only use .308 in a .308 chamber.
If the new RRA is a 5.56 chamber (not .223) you should not have problems with either ammo.

Straight from the 2013 RRA catalog:

CALIBER .308/7.62x51mm NATO Chamber

The case ends do say Winchester .308, but apparently the shoulder is +0.030" long which won't let the bolt fully close... They had a disclaimer in the box about Mag-Tech ammo being NFG. Guess they'll have to test some PP and maybe add that too. Tried some Remington and Winchester today, both worked perfectly.

My Bushmaster has seen approx 500 rds of Wolf coated steel case .223 & only one fail to feed. I have also shot good brass too. It functions well with both.

Ditto. I've had my bushmaster well over 10 years and thousands of round through it from my custom handloads to junk russian steel case and never had an issue. Even ran some chinese steel case and never had 1 issue.;) I will point out that I bought it used and it was built before the idiot klinton signed the stupid bill, so it may have had even more through it before I got it.

PLEASE do not start a 308 vs 7.62 discussion. That as anal as the 223 vs 5.56 issue. I have a MASTER CLASS rating in long range highpower and have shot BOTH in either gun. There is NO reason for a civilian to be concerned with the insignificant difference in either set of ammo. People argue that the thicker brass on the NATO spec rounds cause higher chamber pressure and they are right, BUT each manufactures ammo will create different pressures as will loads with different bullet weights PLUS the fact that guns are pressure tested at 2-3 times normal chamber pressure. So don't tell me that the different brass thickness will cause a problem of any significance.

PS - I sell guns for a living.

PLEASE do not start a 308 vs 7.62 discussion. That as anal as the 223 vs 5.56 issue. I have a MASTER CLASS rating in long range highpower and have shot BOTH in either gun. There is NO reason for a civilian to be concerned with the insignificant difference in either set of ammo. People argue that the thicker brass on the NATO spec rounds cause higher chamber pressure and they are right, BUT each manufactures ammo will create different pressures as will loads with different bullet weights PLUS the fact that guns are pressure tested at 2-3 times normal chamber pressure. So don't tell me that the different brass thickness will cause a problem of any significance.

PS - I sell guns for a living.

So, what's you're recommendation for an AR-10 style .308 that will handle any ammo and off-brand magazines? I'm primarily interested in last-line defense and don't want to be d!cking around trying to find some nice US made ammo and a RRA poly mag to load it into...

Same Q for an AK-47 style rifle. That ammo is actually still pretty cheap...

Don't get an AR-10 then Russ. Buy a FAL or G-3 based one. The FAL and G-3 type can come with a fold out bipod so you can use it as an SAW and the FAL mags are still super cheap.

Don't get an AR-10 then Russ. Buy a FAL or G-3 based one. The FAL and G-3 type can come with a fold out bipod so you can use it as an SAW and the FAL mags are still super cheap.

Charlie, you're killing me! :D Guess for the price of a "real" FAL, I could afford to pony up the $$$ for better ammo. Now I just need to work on these DSArms mags and get them working...

Charlie, you're killing me! :D Guess for the price of a "real" FAL, I could afford to pony up the $$$ for better ammo. Now I just need to work on these DSArms mags and get them working...

Well I still hold to my offer Russ. If you still have it and are up this way I'll take a look and see what we can figure out.;)

I have a Armalite AR-10 that I bought new right before all the BS started and haven't had one issue with it. A lot of manufacturers suggest you stay with quality ammo because of issues noted above with the cases. I've never run any Priv ammo through any of my firearms, mostly because I load my own ammo but you might try looking at this site for tips. http://www.ar10t.com/forums/index

I have a bushmaster xm-15; thousands of rounds, brass and steel, various brands, surplus mags, no issues.

Also have one of the Stag Arms gas-piston uppers on an off-brand lower with DPMS parts kit with same results. I found it very fun to put a lower together by myself.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Same here. I have put thousands of 5.56 and 223 through my Colt H-Bar super match. I also have a AR-10 S&W but haven't shot it much. I have never bought the cheap ammo because I figure if I have a good gun, use good ammo. I also shoot reloads made specifically for my gun. I sell just about all varieties of AR's and have never had anyone mention feed failures but then I have never seen the ammo you are having troubles with.

Best of luck.