Grand Nationals aren't worth anything

TRBON8R

Yep, that's right according to Mercury Insurance my GN isn't worth $3600 in body work. The guy that hit my car is going to pay out of his pocket to fix my car rather than fight with Mercury. I think he's nuts and I told him so. I feel bad for the guy, but at the same time he hit my car and I want it fixed. All I know is, if I had a valid insurance policy and hit someone and my insurance company didn't want to pay I'd have their ass in court so fast it would make their head spin.

This whole thing is turning out to be a total nightmare. As bad as it is for me, imagine how it will feel the next time this guy writes out a check for his insurance premium knowing he got nothing from them the one time he needed it. Consider yourself warned if you have Mercury insurance, it seems to be about as useful as a cup of cold piss. :mad:

That is why you/we need stated value insurance....Your company pays and then collects from his company. :)

what did mercury want to do??? total the car out???

IMHO tell that guy to report them to the insurance department and document eveyrthing... also if you wanna help him give him some documentation on the value of your car and the estimates on the damage to it... He may be able to get is money back form Mercury with the depts help...

http://www.insurancefraud.org/

Originally posted by Rogue Leader
what did mercury want to do??? total the car out???

IMHO tell that guy to report them to the insurance department and document eveyrthing... also if you wanna help him give him some documentation on the value of your car and the estimates on the damage to it... He may be able to get is money back form Mercury with the depts help...

http://www.insurancefraud.org/

Rogue,

From what the guy told me, Mercury has some type of "appeal" process where he could appeal their decision not to fix my car. I told him that would be what I would do, and basically I couldn't see him taking a $3600 hit out of pocket. He said it was "too much trouble" and that he would just pay for it. I about fell on the floor when he said that. :eek: I don't get it, or is this guy working some kind of angle on me that I'm missing here? I guess maybe the guy has money falling out of his ass. I sure as hell wouldn't let an insurance company cheat me out of 3 grand. He lives in a million dollar house so maybe it's just no big deal......... :eek: Of course it all sounds good right now with him saying he will pay me. We will see when it comes time to cut a check.

I'll talk to him again tomorrow. I printed out all the 87 GNs for sale on autotrader.com so he can see what they are going for.

I'd be a bit skeptical of him and his insurance company.

Accept only cash or make him cash the check even if certified at the bank with you there, and get cash.

That story doesn't sound right to me normally it would be you arguing with his insurance company not him....hmmm

Good luck!

Originally posted by salvageV6
I'd be a bit skeptical of him and his insurance company.

Accept only cash or make him cash the check even if certified at the bank with you there, and get cash.

That story doesn't sound right to me normally it would be you arguing with his insurance company not him....hmmm

Good luck!

Yeah I hear you there. I also suspect he will want me to sign some sort of release of liability at some point. I can tell you that won't happen until I have been paid in full, and have a firm quote from the body shop in writing for the complete cost of the repairs.

Maybe I'm just a cynic....but I find that hard to believe, as you apparently do also.

Did his insurance company actually contact you or look at your car?

You can always phone his insurance company and find out if he really is covered.

I agree with you...something doesn't add up.

Chris,

His insurance company never even looked at the car!! According to him when he talked to the insurance people and told them the year and model of the car he hit, they just said they weren't going to pay because the car wasn't worth enough. I'm sure he probably talked on the phone to some bonehead that doesn't even have the slightest clue what a Grand National is. The insurance company hasn't even gone far enough to even ask for the VIN # of the car. It would seem to me that would be one of the first things they would ask for before trying to establish the value of a car.

Originally posted by TRBON8R
Chris,

His insurance company never even looked at the car!! According to him when he talked to the insurance people and told them the year and model of the car he hit, they just said they weren't going to pay because the car wasn't worth enough. I'm sure he probably talked on the phone to some bonehead that doesn't even have the slightest clue what a Grand National is. The insurance company hasn't even gone far enough to even ask for the VIN # of the car. It would seem to me that would be one of the first things they would ask for before trying to establish the value of a car.

So far all you've heard is what he's told you they said. Personally I think he's full of poo poo. And no matter the value of the car....an insured pays the insurance company to handle the matter. The amount may be in dispute but for the insurance company to simply say it ain't worth it doesn't make sense.

What if he doesn't really have any coverage? Then he's just stringing you along. Go ask the guy for a check and see what he says.

I hope you reported it to the police or they were at the scene. That way there's an unbiased report on the accident.

And most definitely phone his insurance company. You did get his driver's license info and alledged insurance info didn't you? Including his policy number that should have been on his card?

Personally, I'd start to do some prying as I think you're being handed a line.

Originally posted by ChrisCairns
Personally, I'd start to do some prying as I think you're being handed a line.

Ditto.. Get on the phone and start checking up on this guy and his insurance. Did you get a copy of the police report (please tell me you got a police report!!)? Something else I would do is record the phone calls you make. Yes its legal in most if not all states to record a TWO party phone conversation if one party knows its being recorded. One party would be you so you are legal (check your states laws to be 100% sure on that). Write down when and who you talked to.

Something is fishy. Even if the guy had more money than he knew what to do with his insurance co would have contacted you to get a statement for their records (basically record the conversation should you come after them later in court). They would have made arrangements for an ins adjuster to look at your car either with you or where ever its at right now.

FYI.. Insurance co's as of late dont like to pay any claim no matter how small without a police report. So, even if you get in a minor fender bender my advise is to call the 5.0 so they can make a report. So what if the officer gripes/complains that he/she has better things to do. If you dont have a police report the other persons insurance can and will basically laugh in your face.

Having been thru a similar situation, it is not uncommon for an insurance company to initially look at the value of the vehicle as a std Buick Regal. This is the first step. It would usually get kicked out of their claims dept and turned over to their "total review" dept (for lack of a better name). They should turn it over to an independent appraise service to validate that it is a special model and that the market value is higher than"justa Regal". Unfortunatly, even with the best (ugh!) insurance companies, this takes time and a lot of follow up on your part. Often helps to get a dept manager involved.

That said, it does sound a little fishy, but if the guy is loaded and doesn't want to involve others, that his choice. Just be sure to protect yourself!!!
And good luck. Remember, there are always additional expences once you get into the repair.