Going LS 6.0L Twin Turbo , Help Appreciated With My Combo

GNVYUS 1

So I'm getting back in the game after 6 years off with my GN. I decided after seeing what's happening in the industry, and the amount of money I've already got in my grand national, that doing the LS twin turbo setup would be the best overall choice moving forward for me.

Here's my dilemma since I don't know much about doing an LS swap.

1. A local Speed Shop recommended I buy a used L76 engine and harness instead of putting together a new LS2 engine piece by piece. I know it's cheaper but after upgrading it with rods, pistons, bearings etc it doesn't seem like there's any real advantage time wise or money-wise in doing that. The Holley computer is the only price part that would appear to be the difference.

The L76 engines used are around $2500 to $3500 with the engine harness but missing usually some accessories. Then these engines need to be rebuilt cuz they're usually 60k to 120,000 miles on them as I'm not risking a turd engine at start up.

What do you think about the above, am I missing something in their thinking aside from time convience and a little short term $?

Here is my initial plan with NEW parts....

Holley Dominator = $2000
Holley Unterminated Harness = $320
LS2 block = $1150
L92 heads assembled = $1200
LSXR 102 Intake/TB = $1300
Stock LS2 Crank = $315
Eagle Rods = $450
Pistons = $400
ATI Damper =$400
Twin 62/66mm T4 Turbos $1050 each x2
CX Racing G body LS Twin Turbo Headers/DP/Wastegate Piping = $1000
Tial 44mm Wastegate = $370x2
Tial 50mm BOV = $260
Fast Fuel Rail = $200
Holley 120lb Injectors = $360
LS1 late 90s water pump = $180

Then I'd still need pulleys, alternator and other things like sensors Etc so I know it's going to be over $10,000 minimum on just the parts. Selling my GN stuff will get me close to this part scary enough.

Is it a better idea to buy the L76 and then have the Machine Shop go through all that or should just buy all the new parts and have the Machine Shop assemble with new parts etc?

The Speed shop thinks L76 with harness and using stock computer to flash tune but I can't see that being great for 1,000hp and E85 with the 4L80 trans in the future.

I plan on using my beefed up 200-4R trans for the early stage and then going 4L80 later to save time and $ now.

So I'm getting back in the game after 6 years off with my GN. I decided after seeing what's happening in the industry, and the amount of money I've already got in my grand national, that doing the LS twin turbo setup would be the best overall choice moving forward for me.

Here's my dilemma since I don't know much about doing an LS swap.

1. A local Speed Shop recommended I buy a used L76 engine and harness instead of putting together a new LS2 engine piece by piece. I know it's cheaper but after upgrading it with rods, pistons, bearings etc it doesn't seem like there's any real advantage time wise or money-wise in doing that. The Holley computer is the only price part that would appear to be the difference.

The L76 engines used are around $2500 to $3500 with the engine harness but missing usually some accessories. Then these engines need to be rebuilt cuz they're usually 60k to 120,000 miles on them as I'm not risking a turd engine at start up.

What do you think about the above, am I missing something in their thinking aside from time convience and a little short term $?

Here is my initial plan with NEW parts....

Holley Dominator = $2000
Holley Unterminated Harness = $320
LS2 block = $1150
L92 heads assembled = $1200
LSXR 102 Intake/TB = $1300
Stock LS2 Crank = $315
Eagle Rods = $450
Pistons = $400
ATI Damper =$400
Twin 62/66mm T4 Turbos $1050 each x2
CX Racing G body LS Twin Turbo Headers/DP/Wastegate Piping = $1000
Tial 44mm Wastegate = $370x2
Tial 50mm BOV = $260
Fast Fuel Rail = $200
Holley 120lb Injectors = $360
LS1 late 90s water pump = $180

Then I'd still need pulleys, alternator and other things like sensors Etc so I know it's going to be over $10,000 minimum on just the parts. Selling my GN stuff will get me close to this part scary enough.

Is it a better idea to buy the L76 and then have the Machine Shop go through all that or should just buy all the new parts and have the Machine Shop assemble with new parts etc?

The Speed shop thinks L76 with harness and using stock computer to flash tune but I can't see that being great for 1,000hp and E85 with the 4L80 trans in the future.

I plan on using my beefed up 200-4R trans for the early stage and then going 4L80 later to save time and $ now.

I just about got all the "stuff" installed, hooked up, smoke tested, on my 347" iron motor.
If you want to look, there's lots of conversion stuff on the LS1tech site, including a forced induction forum, and a conversions forum. About 1400 posts in the G body thread!

I have an unused, NIB, Holley universal main harness, pt # 558-104. Current cost is $320.00.
I'm not going to use it. It's available for $275, shipped to the lower 56!:smuggrin:
want to BS about the LS, call me on the cell, or email, pm, etc.
One bit of advice.. Don't waste your time w/ that 200 trans. Costs way too much to change later. If it's a BRF, it'll go for more than a good used 4L80e.

Chuck
706-342-3152 H/S
770-265-5144 C.

I'll hit you up someday, thanks for the offer.

I found this pretty affordable hooker single turbo manifold for the LS engines that might be a big money saver vs twins.

Single turbo, ATRish style log manifold by Hooker/Holley for the LS engines.

https://www.holley.com/products/exh...ust_manifolds/exhaust_manifolds/parts/8510HKR

You can pick your crossover pipe and be all in for around 600 bucks it looks like (You have to make tree last pipe to turbo flange) . You could easily get it all coated and still be way under the price of most cheap eBay manifolds.

Slap a V Band 80mm on that and you're 9s on low boost.

I'll hit you up someday, thanks for the offer.

I found this pretty affordable hooker single turbo manifold for the LS engines that might be a big money saver vs twins.

Single turbo, ATRish style log manifold by Hooker/Holley for the LS engines.

https://www.holley.com/products/exh...ust_manifolds/exhaust_manifolds/parts/8510HKR

You can pick your crossover pipe and be all in for around 600 bucks it looks like (You have to make tree last pipe to turbo flange) . You could easily get it all coated and still be way under the price of most cheap eBay manifolds.

Slap a V Band 80mm on that and you're 9s on low boost.

Several users of that Holley kit, over on LS1 tech, and the bullet.
Down side is, no low mt, truck style a/c compressor space.

I wouldn't rebuild a motor with that many miles but that's my personal opinion. Get a cam kit from ljms and rock it. The denmah made a 1000hp on 259k+ mile motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just some of my opinions to share....

Why the universal uncut main harness? Holley offers a plug n play harness for LS motors with either a 24x or 58x crank.....

Forget the square port heads...plenty of proven power with plain Jane 317 truck heads, plus they're pennies on the dollar.

I'd say stock exh manifolds flipped and fab up the rest of the hotside vs the cx kit.

What's your goals, power wise? Budget?

That Holley manifold is on BO right now, I'm currently waiting on one for a truck I'm building for a friend. 86 c10 with a 6.0/t56 s480.

Stock parts have already been proven to serious HP levels...I do understand building a bottom end to have some insurance though. The Pistons are the weak point.

Any other questions just ask, have a lot of experience with them and I'm currently building an aluminum 5.3 right now for my Monte Carlo.

Because I have 1 that wasn't used, during the last project....

Makes sense, but I was referring to his initial post when he listed it. Wasn't sure if that was from the get go or if he had went back and edited it after you posted you had one.

I'm looking around 750rwhp on E85 with modest boost and timing on twin BPE T4 62/62 turbos.

After some research the 317 heads don't flow nearly as well as say LS3 GM performance ported heads where at .650 lift they're seeing around 355cfm which is unreal for $1400 total. That seems worth the extra $ considering I want low boost and the detail below.......

I don't plan on running an intercooler but running dual nozzle Meth Injection instead so the head flow will help me stay around the mid teen boost level to achieve my power goal.