GNX ,Prototypes,Parts,Build Info, EXC

The tires and wheels along with the original turbo’s and intercoolers and most of the takeoff parts were all pre-sold to a distributor. There was a trailer in the back of the plant where the parts were stored until the trailer was full and then it started all over again…what happened to the parts from there I do not know ….but I believe Dennis Kirbin was selling the wheels many years ago but are long gone….the one part that was thrown away was the exhaust ( believe it or not…cut off the vehicle and put in the dumpster :eek:)…and I was not able to buy any of the take off parts as they were pre-sold.

It was sad for me to hear that ASC was closing years ago. What an impressive opperation it had that I observed back then. I got to see the Porsche 968 receiving a convertible top frame for the first time at the main location. It was more like a lab than a workshop.

I've always liked the second stage type vehicles. I own a few. The GNX was truely the end of the cars I grew up with. The decision to end that type of vehicle no doubt helped lead GM to it's current state. Their current offerings really have no idenity to me any more. Things have changed so much.

Rick,
What were the different stages of conversion that the Grand Nationals went through? First step etc. after the base car entered the building from the holding lots shown. It seems that most of the conversion steps would have been very time consuming for the GNX. Being black cars probably didn't help either. The color shows all flaws in the body. (The one photo of the completed GNX with it's hood ajar near the fence is (005). I heard back then it wasn't meeting the California standards for some reason. I don't know if you have any memory of it or other problem cars. ) Funny, I think I remember seeing you at Livonia working on one of the GNXs on one of the days I went threw.............. I'm glad I took the time off to see some of it happen.

Thank You for your time!

Attachments

• DSC01814.jpg
    DSC01814.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 873
Rick,

First let me say from one of the newest n00b's at TB.com, thank you for this thread.:cool: I have spent a few hours over the last couple days reading every word you posted in it. I like your informative post style and there was never a hint of braggadocio, I'm reasonably certain if it had been me working with the ASC and been involved in building the 547 black beasts, I'd be bragging my arse off;)

Please never let this thread die, I did notice some months worth of gaps between gems you provide:redface:, if you still have any stories or pics of any of the build process, I'll read every bit of those too:) If it's just a matter of bumping the thread occasionally, you can count on me for that:D And thank you for your attitude twards the 'clone' GNX's. You're spot on, we want to improve our cars, not fool anybody in the know. I'm good for several adult beverages of your choice should we meet someday.

Alan

X-ray.... A couple of years ago i had my car painted at ASC livonia. Was the paint booth we used located on the old GNX line? Here are some pics :

Attachments

• 1118072392_bd6f4d0f95_o.jpg
    1118072392_bd6f4d0f95_o.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,031
  • 1118072686_9cb8693de2_o.jpg
    1118072686_9cb8693de2_o.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,021
  • 1117241187_2b47c257cc_o.jpg
    1117241187_2b47c257cc_o.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,022
  • 1118080252_114f005d1c_o.jpg
    1118080252_114f005d1c_o.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,016
I even tried to recreate the shot of GNX # 6 by getting up on some barrel by the back doors. You can just make out the rectangle under the viper hood where the roller dyno was .

Attachments

• 1118072010_49dc9e93e0_o.jpg
    1118072010_49dc9e93e0_o.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,046
X-ray.... A couple of years ago i had my car painted at ASC livonia. Was the paint booth we used located on the old GNX line? Here are some pics :

Thanks for the pictures...it is hard to tell but it appears you car is on the old production line, I can not tell 100 percent but if not on the line you are next to it…..the facility has changed, and it is occupied by A & R Packing Company. Even the doors you see in you first pictures are bricked up. All of the paint booths were auctioned off and removed. It is so sad to see this grand building no longer in the automotive assembly business.

Thanks for the pictures...it is hard to tell but it appears you car is on the old production line, I can not tell 100 percent but if not on the line you are next to it…..

Thank you for the reply . In the pick of you sitting in the GNX you can see the corner of the building with a door in the background . When i was there that door was gone and the space behind it was for Viper hood stripe alignment. See the SUV in the first 2 pics? Its right in front of the second door . Was the line along that first door on the north west corner of the building or the second door on that corner ? I had to go in the second . Either way, my Buick was the last GN worked on at that facility. ;)

Actually the start of the line was door number three…..door number two was used for painting mustang parts….as for changing the fuel pump in the Nationals, those were the days….it was fun jacking up my car and changing it out on the ground :) ….It is always nice to talk with people with the same interests…especially when you are wrenching….regards rick

Regarding the PPG Pace car, I ran across this pic and thought it might be useful. Any leads as to what became of the car?

redontrack.jpg

Very cool of X-RAY to share his life with us here. Just read 8 pages before bed.... Awesome read. Now I know a little about the 547..... THANK YOU

I thought I would go by the old ASC Livonia plant and take some pictures of what it looks like today. As you can see this once bustling assembly plant is now a packing facility. The rear of the plant that once stored all the GNX’s, now warehouses a dumpster and a lonely truck. The third picture shows the bricked up doors where the Grand Nationals entered to transform into the GNX. What a difference 25 years makes.

Attachments

• DSCN1412.jpg
    DSCN1412.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 694
  • DSCN1413.jpg
    DSCN1413.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 691
  • DSCN1415.jpg
    DSCN1415.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 694
  • DSCN1414.jpg
    DSCN1414.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 678
i thought i would go by the old asc livonia plant and take some pictures of what it looks like today. As you can see this once bustling assembly plant is now a packing facility. The rear of the plant that once stored all the gnx’s, now warehouses a dumpster and a lonely truck. The third picture shows the bricked up doors where the grand nationals entered to transform into the gnx. What a difference 25 years makes.
did you take the sign ? Keepsake ...

Yeah I was back there a few months ago. I flew by the old ASC GNX conversion building on the freeway and thought to myself. What the hell I'm this close, I'm freakin turning around.

What a strange haunting place Detroit has become to me. I hope to see it come back before I die. There is a very sad feeling in the pit of my stomach. So much automotive history there. I could go into Accountants, Lawyers, Unions and Politicians but,........... you know. Why poison such a great thread.

Thank You Rick, I hope you are doing well............................................................ Get the sign before I do and send it to you.