GNX 547

Damn, i said 250,000. Another lost contest, who bought it?
It doesn't look good for the community. My guess based on the crazy money and phone bid...one of those saudi oil guys. Which means it's going overseas to become another worthless trophy in a vast collection in the middle of the desert.

If true, look for me to start one of those go fund me pages to "Help Repatriate GNX #547."

Last edited:
Was also another last car sold at Mecum Kissimmee 2017 , reported last 1993 GMC Typhoon. Sold for $62,000.
  • The last Typhoon built, serial no. 2200
  • 147 original miles
  • Owned by General Motors Heritage Collection
  • On display at the General Motors Museum from 1993 through January 2009

Last edited:
Was also another last car sold at Mecum Kissimmee 2017 , reported last 1993 GMC Typhoon. Sold for $62,000.
  • The last Typhoon built, serial no. 2200
  • 147 original miles
  • Owned by General Motors Heritage Collection
  • On display at the General Motors Museum from 1993 through January 2009

I'm still catching up on the auction results but this is very good information.
Thanks
KID

Poor #503 was sitting in a mud puddle under the "bid goes on" tent. It reached 50k. It was pretty clean with a nice interior.

She's had a bunch of work done, such as
- Engine Rebuild
- New interior pieces
- New paint
- New header panel
- New carpet and panels in trunk
- New weather stripping in trunk and doors
- New headliner
- New gauge panel
- New upper door panels

She's been in a couple of auctions in the last year, Mecum Houston ($42k, didn't sell and now Mecum Kissimmee $50k and didn't sell)

Friend of mine was at the auction and knows TRs fairly well. He informed me that the the 3 GNs that sold back to back between the 10-13k mark were really rough. He said they had rust in several spots and were in pretty bad shape, that was the reason they went so cheap. Which is another example of things aren't always as they seem or look on TV when it comes to car auctions. He also said #503 didn't look that good, which is no surprise considering the guy has been trying to sell it several times, I wonder what he thinks its worth? My friend also informed me that there was a car there advertised as a WE4 but he stated that car was also pretty rough and had a GN interior in it. I noticed on Mecums website the "WE4" bid up to $16k but obviously it has several questionable things with it. Below is a picture my friend took of 547 as it crossed the block from his seat.

upload_2017-1-16_8-55-57.png

Last edited:
He also said #503 also didn't look that good, which is no surprise considering the guy has been trying to sell it several times,

it's weird that a car with 46k miles has already had an engine rebuild. Maybe he raced it quite a bit ? And why would a car with that little miles need the new interior pieces,New paint, New header panel, New carpet and panels in trunk, New weather stripping in trunk and doors,New headliner, New gauge panel, New upper door panels ?

Has it been in a flood or something ? Did someone go all Pulp Fiction on the inside and the trunk ? I've never heard of a car having the headliner replaced....

it's weird that a car with 46k miles has already had an engine rebuild. Maybe he raced it quite a bit ? And why would a car with that little miles need the new interior pieces,New paint, New header panel, New carpet and panels in trunk, New weather stripping in trunk and doors,New headliner, New gauge panel, New upper door panels? Has it been in a flood or something ? Did someone go all Pulp Fiction on the inside and the trunk ? I've never heard of a car having the headliner replaced....

1980's build quality leaves a lot to be desired as well as not being used/driven and kept up. I worked at a shop in 2014 that specialized in Ferrari/Lamborghini/Maserati etc etc etc and I saw more F40's being daily driven than most other makes and models. A death sentence should be registered for any make and model that just sit's around as an investment and is never utilized or driven in my opinion.

Last edited:
very low mileage cars seem to often require rebuilding vs ones given regular exercise miles
Exactly. The mileage is not the biggest issue imo, it is the parts that deteriorate with time. It seems that originality has overtaken common sense but I do understand it. On my 45th birthday a friend let me drive his 308GTB all day and even told me more than once "Stop driving like a granny and goose it!".

Point being is that cars are meant to be driven..."its better to burn out than to fade away".

Has anyone been able to figure out who actually bought this car?

I have not seen anything to indicate who bought it. Being a phone bid it is very unlikely we will ever know unless the winning bidder wants us to.

I pray it was purchased by a true car person and not by a flipper like the 2nd owner apparently was. I guess I am really just happy it has survived and hopefully found a longtime loving home.

Even since the last owner acquired GNX #547,technology ... social media...networking has gotten so sophisticated now.So be patient , and Iwill give it 1 month and the new owner will be revealed .:sneaky:..

I pray it was purchased by a true car person and not by a flipper like the 2nd owner apparently was. I guess I am really just happy it has survived and hopefully found a longtime loving home.

The 2nd owner kept it for more than ten years.

The 2nd owner kept it for more than ten years.
While they waited on the market value so they could make a profit perhaps? I do not have a issue with flipping homes but iconic vehicles are just a little harder to accept but I also realize my view is a personal thing.

Good to know that #547 will hopefully put more smiles on faces for years to come if possible. :)