GNX 547

I'm at mecum and 547 should be crossing the block in the next hour or so. Got to spend some time looking at her up close. Stunning, stunning,stunning! The car is flawless.
I bet that's the first time that car ever saw a puddle of water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I saw the car today in good natural light and yesterday under house lights. The roof is crazed and the rt qtr has had work. Wonder what the buyer will think?

You're right turboj! I went back today and saw that. When I went yesterday it was raining and really overcast out. The crazing really came out in the sun. Such a shame.

QUOTE="turboj91, post: 3725453, member: 37017"]I saw the car today in good natural light and yesterday under house lights. The roof is crazed and the rt qtr has had work. Wonder what the buyer will think?[/QUOTE]

QUOTE="turboj91, post: 3725453, member: 37017"]I saw the car today in good natural light and yesterday under house lights. The roof is crazed and the rt qtr has had work. Wonder what the buyer will think?[/QUOTE]

Is crazing caused by not keeping the surface polished and waxed leaving the clear coat too deteriorate or is it an age thing as well as the 1980's quality?

Is crazing caused by not keeping the surface polished and waxed leaving the clear coat too deteriorate or is it an age thing as well as the 1980's quality?
The orig paint on the Turbo Buicks was laquer , and the black was single stage ( no clear ) . Yes, it is mostly due to age , but having an orig paint GN in a large temperature swing environment (garage) is not good for it , hence climate controlled being the way to be . And the sun hitting them at this age now (30) years old will also speed it up to having the paint start cracking . And if your TR is in a nice garage that has windows , try not to let the sunlight come in a hit right on it , put shades up to stop the UV light getting on it .

The orig paint on the Turbo Buicks was laquer , and the black was single stage ( no clear ) . Yes, it is mostly due to age , but having an orig paint GN in a large temperature swing environment (garage) is not good for it , hence climate controlled being the way to be . And the sun hitting them at this age now (30) years old will also speed it up to having the paint start cracking . And if your TR is in a nice garage that has windows , try not to let the sunlight come in a hit right on it , put shades up to stop the UV light getting on it .
Thanks for the information. :)

What was the price for the other grand nationals that went on the block? Anyone know?
Just go to Mecum's website and register by putting in your email. Then you can search for any car at their auctions. They do send emails for future auctions if that bothers you.

It was strange. They had 4 GN's in row go across the block at no reserve. The highest got 15k the lowest 10k. I did see #532 up close with 290 miles. It got 100k. Poor #503 was sitting in a mud puddle under the "bid goes on" tent. It reached 50k. It was pretty clean with a nice interior. Lots of Superbirds and the usual vettes.

What was the price for the other grand nationals that went on the block? Anyone know?
15,000 mile GN sold for 41k
Driver GN's 10k, 12k,and 13k.
Another GNX # 532 hammered at 100k
There may be more
KID

Last edited: