Gn owns an 03 cobra....

Originally posted by matt87
ya 10's with nitrous, everything else stock? pass me some of that good stuff.

Matt I am @ work right now, but I will really try when I get home to find you the info on it.. There is one in particular, it was a 1992 coupe Slicks and skinny's with a 225 or 250 shot on it, 5 speed ran high 10's ( The car might of been lightened ) I will look later and find a few for ya.

so bone stock mustange(no fuel system mods or suspension) with 250 shot goes 10's. should make for some good reading.

Originally posted by matt87
so bone stock mustange(no fuel system mods or suspension) with 250 shot goes 10's. should make for some good reading.

Been done many times, It was a wet system obviously.

250 shot on a bone stock 5.0 with the stock fuel system riiiiiiight :rolleyes: Smoking grass is bad you should know that by now. You Mustang guys are making me laugh so hard, your little world seems oh soooo perfect :D

Fastfed, typing here is like t!ts on a bull, useless. Although, any SAFE shot above 150 would require a fuel system upgrade and/or a seperate nitrous fuel system to run 200 or more. I think some of you just dont know about the mustang. But thats fine. Have all you actually owned one and tried it yourself? Whether a GN wins or loses, the Handicap of 2 less cylinders will always be thrown out.

Originally posted by stroked347
Fastfed, typing here is like t!ts on a bull, useless. Although, any SAFE shot above 150 would require a fuel system upgrade and/or a seperate nitrous fuel system to run 200 or more. I think some of you just dont know about the mustang. But thats fine. Have all you actually owned one and tried it yourself? Whether a GN wins or loses, the Handicap of 2 less cylinders will always be thrown out.

I agree, I don't care what the care has if its fast and you built it ( yourself! ) then More power to ya; that's awesome!

The handicap of 2 less cylinders is so old, maybe 10-15 years ago, but now there are cars out there that can use the same term AGAINST the GN'S, Little old 4 bangers :eek:

Hello again!This thread interest me. As you can see by my name on this board I am a Mustang fan.I have owned several. A superchaged 93 GT convertible with ALOT of mods and 12psi of boost with a 2800 stall and 4.10 gears.The car ran 12.20's at Rockingham.Mighta had more but traction was poor.A 1989 LX 5.0 with a RHS balanced and blue-printed high compression 306 with about 10,000 in mods-the short block alone was 5,000 dollars!This car had the drivetrain mods,brakes ,etc to go with the rest;I liked pickin on Vette's!Never raced on the strip,but equal to if not faster than the 93.I also had a 1996 Saleen S351.Stock this ar was supposed to run like 12.70's.This is a partial list.The reason that I am telling you this is these were all great cars,but I like my GN better!It has not been ran in the 1/4 mile yet,but see's 96mph traps in the 1/8th-with bad traction,poor 60's and street radials.I can still get 17-20 mpg driving to work.The car was purchased by me like 6 years ago with 26,000 miles.I sold it to a friend with 32,000 miles and bought it back with 49,000 miles.PTE 52,Cas V-4,009's.Walbro 340,JL chips,Art Carr 2800 loc-up,and a host of other mods-all for the total of 12,500 dollars!That is why I think these cars are great bang for the buck!And they are justa plain kick in the azz to drive.I don't bash anyones cars,I like em all!Although my current prey of choice are expensive exotic type cars....Thanks for this web sight and have a great day!

Not good to use the cost to buy a GN in the modification costs. The GN in todays dollars would be over $40k ($18k in 87) and the GNX would be in Vette convertible territory, in the mid 50's. Lets see what you can buy a GNX or even a GN for with "0" miles on it and a 3 year warranty, and then start modding it. I deffenately give Ford credit on that car. With the Forged internals they may someday be in the 8's with a stock shortblock!

I'm suprised no one pointed out the "from a roll" thing. Cobras are weak out of the hole, if Dave raced him from a roll it woulda been much worse.

Maybe other cobras are weak out of the hole, but I lost to one...he got at least 3 lengths on me right from the start, and I brakeboosted to 3psi (on street tires.....)

As for my Mustang, it will have an all forged bottom end (ordered the stuff today) and a good 15-20psi. I don't think the average street TR will kill me. But I don't think I'll race any, just to be safe.

Ok here is my take on the 03 cobra.

For 32k (used now) you get a super fast car. You can do bolt on mods and run crazy HP numbers. You can swap the blower to a KB setup and put down 700hp to the wheels. It's an amazing car and I would LOVE to have one. But you will lose your warranty if you do modify it.

So if you want to have a fast straight line car, get a TR. You can mod it and not worry about losing a warranty, because you don't have one.

I don't know where you guys bought your TRs but the window sticker on my mom's 87 GN was 16k and the sticker on a friends 87 t type was 12k. Now, an 87 Mustang vert stickered at 13k. 00 Mustang vert v6 stickered at 21k. So the TR in todays dollars would be low to high 20s or maybe low 30s - very, very comparable to the LS1. Stripped down Z28 for 22k, Trans Am vert for 35. I don't think the TR would be THAT expensive, especially for the performance you get.

But all of this is moot as our GN cost 12k with 30k miles on it and a new 5 thousand dollar paint job. And mods.

Just my $0.02.

I'm a Mustang owner and I can tell you first hand it is a great car. But 10s and 11s on nothing but nitrous? That seems a little hard to believe.

Slicks would be needed for sure.

Lightened? It'd have to be practically gutted.

And what about that stock 88 lph fuel pump? And the stock 19 lb/hr fuel injectors?

Stock heads? Stock exhaust? Stock cats? Stock headers? Stock filter? Stock mass air meter?

Stock rear gears (either 2.73 or 3.08)?

I can believe 12s. I can even believe low 12s. Maybe on a good day can I believe high 11s.

I've edited this thread, now in order for this thread to remain open the personal attacks and flames need to stop.
Either stay on topic or start a new one in the Lounge.

Thanks.

A fully equipped GN went for 18 change, was more expensive than a loaded Iroc $15k and loaded stang @ 14k. Inflation puts the GN in the high 30's to low 40's. I did this on a program last year, put the loaded camaro @28k (got way too expensive).There is no way today a GN would be in the 20's or even low 30's when it was the most expensive out of all the fast cars in 87 except the Vette, and I beleive the GNX had the Vette beat.

The sticker on my convertible mustang was $17.4K in 1986... More than my 1986 T-type. You can get a loaded mustang convert today with airbags, a CD player, leather and way better everything for less than $30K.

If GM sold a TR today I don't see any reason it would be more than the supercharged Regals - mid 20's to 30's. (other than the fact they could charge more).

Vettes were a lot more than a TR in 1986/87.

You cant' use "inflation" to estimate car prices. "inflation" doesn't take into account competition and new technology.

I can get a loaded Mini Cooper S for close to 30 or a regular, no option base model for 16k...

If you want performance chances are you didn't opt for the expensive options like power windows, doors, etc.

how fast were the faster street driven '87 GN'S in 1987?
you cant compare the fastest street gn's to the fastest street '03 cobras the gn has a 16 year head start in aftermarket parts

The sticker on my convertible mustang was $17.4K in 1986... More than my 1986 T-type. You can get a loaded mustang convert today with airbags, a CD player, leather and way better everything for less than $30K.

and if they made a GN convertible, it would have cost at least $2500 more. Convertibles are alot more expensive.
If GM sold a TR today I don't see any reason it would be more than the supercharged Regals - mid 20's to 30's. (other than the fact they could charge more).

A GN would cost more than an SS or WS6 f-body. A GN was more in the IMPY SS class of pricing.

Originally posted by omni-man
how fast were the faster street driven '87 GN'S in 1987?
you cant compare the fastest street gn's to the fastest street '03 cobras the gn has a 16 year head start in aftermarket parts

Nothing was fast back then. 12's were done by big block "RACE CARS". In June 1986 a grand national owner showed me a glovebox full of mid to high 12 second timeslips. My jaw dropped. He was using a Prototype NOS N2O system that was written up in Hot Rod magazine.

Nobody is comparing the "Fastest Street GN's" to an 03 Cobra. I'm positive an '03 cobra will ultimately be faster than a TR mod for mod. But when somebody says "you can run 11's for $1000 in an '03 Cobra, I say *Yawwwwnnnn* because its $1000+$33K.

If I bought an 03 Cobra the depreciation of me driving it off the lot would cost more than I paid for my T-type that runs 11.5's. no thanks.

i like gn's. if my friend was ever to sell his gn or t-type i'd be the first in line. after riding in his car it sold me on the idea of turboing the stang (so that's what i did). we took the gn out 2 yrs ago for the first time he said since 94 and whooped up on a bunch of cars. he said he ran a best of 10.9's in 1994. that was extremly rare in these parts for any street car. as a matter of fact he showed me what he used to do to stangs all the time. we launched and when the stang hit 3rd he turned on the dome light waved, then hit the boost controller. talk about funny. i give much respect for the gn/t-type.

later

mike