Gears?

Big Paul

Bob Barker
My friends got an '84 Regal Limited, he's sellin it, and I want it! But I want to know what the cars rear axle gears are, and where I can find out on the car, is it coded in the glovebox like some cars? Or where? When it smokes em, it gets both tires on the ground so I know its posi, I just would like to know the gears, thanks!

crawl under it to be for sure on front of the passenger side axle tube you'll find a code stamped in it . then call a local dealer and ask what it is.

problem with a code on a sticker on the car is you'd have to be certain the rear has never ben changed.

The codes are under the decklid. I think GU1 is 2.41 and GU6 is 3.42. The rest are in order. www.gnttype.org has a page of all the codes.

If someone has changed the gears in the rear (but not the complete rear), the codes on the tube will also be wrong.

The best way, IMO, is too spin BOTH rear wheels togther and count the number of driveshaft turns. (Or spin one wheel twice per DS turn.)

Just becuase both wheels spin, does not mean it's a limited slip/posi. (That RPO code is G80.) My '83 TR with it's open rear will spin both tires on the street, but the track is a completely different situation.

Thanks guys for the info, its surprising to see that the Buick codes are the same for Chevy, and i'm sure the rest of GM, my S-10 has 3.42's and the code is GU6! Another question, are the '84 Regals like the one i'm talkin about, did they have an 8.5 rear or a dinky 7.5? thanks