Fuel system??

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Have been involved w/ a problem on a fuel system.
The tank was not vented and thus a HUGE vac. was pulled on it.
This resulted in the pump overheating, locking up, and generally making life miserable. The system has an AEROMOTIVE pump, filter, big feed lines, yadda, yadda.
Fuel temps went to 130*F. This was initially thot to be caused by high ambient temps.
It was also thot that the pump had locked up due to trash.. Not the case.
The tech at AEROMOTIVE, Brett Clow, was very helpful and had a rather unique way to test the system for proper return flow capability. Run the return hose off the tank to a jug.. Should pump 3 gallons in 2 minutes, if the system is right. [This leaves the regulator and it's press. setting in the equation] When the ret. line was taken off, the vac was found!! System subsequently pumped more than the minimum.

We are discussing the results of running the pump in a vac./inlet situation. I looked at the boiling point of 116 gas.. bout 250*F. The UNANSWERED ?? is: At what temp would this gas boil if in a vacuum? Does the point vary as to the level of vac. at the pump inlet??
The tech pages I have on race gas also shows: Initial boiling pt, 10% evap,50% evap, and final boiling point. What's this mean?
How bout it, chem guys?? Oil patch guys??

Thanx,:)

Back under my welder!!:D

Cairns has been running in a vacuum for years and HE is in the nines!

Ijames and Estill should be able to handle this one if no mortals arise that knows the answer.

Well I am just a layman but since boiling points increase with pressure (i.e. radiator coolant) the BP must be lower in a vacuum. How much is impossible to say, because you did not have a true, complete vacuum (no fuel system is perfect) but rather a partial vacuum. I dont think you were close to boiling the fuel at 130* though