front spring compressors!

Reaper

Pit Bitch
WTF, i have tried internal external and i have used a clamshell stye in the past! are they all worthless? i dont want to use the Pry and pray method, how do i get the damn spring small enuff to do it *right*?

dont tell me to do a search cause i have!

i should have paid someone! F this!:mad:

Let it fly.........it ain't going anywhere with the rotor hanging in front of it. Put a chain around it for more safety. Use and inside compressor for re-installation. Be careful.....nothing to play with. Ask Louie Lopez. :(

I just take the lower control arm bolts off (leave the ball joint attached to the spindle) and ease it down with a jack - no compressor needed.

install not removal, removal is no big deal........... its the install that stumps me!

well I just do the reverse...push the spring into place, then jack the LCA back to where it belongs...

Zam....

ok, thats a perdy simple way of doing it but i yet to see that method work. even with the spring compressed and held in place by ratchet tiedowns i can not get it short enuff to jack up the lower control arm and have it *pop* in to place.

sorry i am just a bit frustrated.

I have done a few installs of springs in G-body's and S-10's.....

I use the traditional Craftsman Macpherson Strut Compressor
With the shock out of the car,Take the 'loose' (non-threaded) compressor off the log bolt. Drop JUST the long threaded bolt in the upper shock hole in the frame. Install the 'threaded' compressor onto the 'bolt'. Put the spring & isolator in place. Attach the 'compressor' on the INBOARD part of the spring, so that it starts to compress at the SAME ANGLE the A-arm is swinging up into. The curve of the spring, and compressor DO NOT MATCH, but I have NEVER HAD A PROBLEM...YET. I always have another person with the jack under the Lower A-arm and raises it as I comress the spring. At the MOST, I have only had to turn the compressor 5 times before it was able to seat properly in the lower a-arm.

I have a pic of how I do it, if anyone's interested.

Ryan

Originally posted by Spdrcer34
I have done a few installs of springs in G-body's and S-10's.....

I use the traditional Craftsman Macpherson Strut Compressor
With the shock out of the car,Take the 'loose' (non-threaded) compressor off the log bolt. Drop JUST the long threaded bolt in the upper shock hole in the frame. Install the 'threaded' compressor onto the 'bolt'. Put the spring & isolator in place. Attach the 'compressor' on the INBOARD part of the spring, so that it starts to compress at the SAME ANGLE the A-arm is swinging up into. The curve of the spring, and compressor DO NOT MATCH, but I have NEVER HAD A PROBLEM...YET. I always have another person with the jack under the Lower A-arm and raises it as I comress the spring. At the MOST, I have only had to turn the compressor 5 times before it was able to seat properly in the lower a-arm.

I have a pic of how I do it, if anyone's interested.

Ryan

thanks, i will try that.. and post pics! please!

Close all open vBcode tagsI installed some 5660's (S-10 springs) and used the AutoZone loaner spring compressor (not the strut compressor). I had to cut the giant bolt (I coudn't find a shorter one to buy) because it was too long, as I tightened it on the spring, it hit the top of the frame.

Unfortunately, now I can't get my $50 back. Removal was somewhat easy, but installation, I couldn't get that beefy spring compressed very far at all. I couldn't fit it in, so I disconnected my LCAs at the frame, and left them attached to the spindle. I then used a floor jack to raise the LCAs into place, it managed to keep the spring relatively straight and I felt safer because I didn't have to use any pry-bars.

Unfortunately, now after I got the car onto the ground, I'm riding 1.25" higher when I wanted 1" lower! Arg, I'm just too damn lazy to go through it all again, I'm going to hold off cutting them until next winter.

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
i dont want to use the Pry and pray method, how do i get the damn spring small enuff to do it *right*?

I still highly reccomend a prayer beforehand... I've only done this once, but I was scared shidless. I can't immagine what a spring with a springrate of nearly 700lbs/in compressed a few inches would do to your hand/arm/head if it got loose.

Spring compressor

Dude, give me a call and I will install your front springs for you. It only takes me about twenty minutes a side with a generic spring compressor, piece of cake after you do a few.

Jan

Re: Re: front spring compressors!

Originally posted by PigGuy
Close all open vBcode tagsI installed some 5660's (S-10 springs) and used the AutoZone loaner spring compressor (not the strut compressor). I had to cut the giant bolt (I coudn't find a shorter one to buy) because it was too long, as I tightened it on the spring, it hit the top of the frame.

Unfortunately, now I can't get my $50 back. Removal was somewhat easy, but installation, I couldn't get that beefy spring compressed very far at all. I couldn't fit it in, so I disconnected my LCAs at the frame, and left them attached to the spindle. I then used a floor jack to raise the LCAs into place, it managed to keep the spring relatively straight and I felt safer because I didn't have to use any pry-bars.

Unfortunately, now after I got the car onto the ground, I'm riding 1.25" higher when I wanted 1" lower! Arg, I'm just too damn lazy to go through it all again, I'm going to hold off cutting them until next winter.

I still highly reccomend a prayer beforehand... I've only done this once, but I was scared shidless. I can't immagine what a spring with a springrate of nearly 700lbs/in compressed a few inches would do to your hand/arm/head if it got loose.

Sounds like you didn't get them indexed right. There is a notch/stop that they have to sit in...the end goes in the notch.

Also, if you tightened everything while it was up in the air, it will preload the suspension bushings up (higher). Lightly snug the LCAs then drop it on the ground,,,even roll it around a bit while turning the steering wheel to get the suspension to settle - then tighten it all up with the full weight of the car on them (yes, it's hard to get under there).
This helps ALOT (been there done that) ...learned this little tip from the boys @ Eibach.

Re: Spring compressor

Originally posted by Buzzard
Dude, give me a call and I will install your front springs for you. It only takes me about twenty minutes a side with a generic spring compressor, piece of cake after you do a few.

Jan

you have an email jan!

I did tighten them while the car was on the ground, and I made damn sure the ends were in the notch thingys correctly.