From Southwest Ohio

Johnnie

Hello. Please let me introduce myself. My name is Johnnie, I am also known as BigJohnnie on a few of the aviation sites. I am 58 years old, a grandfather, an RN, and in SW Ohio. I am a private pilot and proud gear head.
A couple of months ago, I sold my beloved "classic" airplane ( a 1955 Piper Tripacer) with the intent on finding an "investment quality" 87 GN that myself and my lovely little RedHeaded wife and I can enjoy ( she gets airsickness sometimes, hence another reason for selling the airplane.) I owned one back in the early 90's, and I loved that ride. Bought it with 17k miles on it for 10 grand , bone stock and unmolested. ( It also had blue pin striping just like "retired guy's! An option???) I was surprised that it was .2 sec quicker than my '66 chevelle SS 396 /375 4spd , had air conditioning, and got twice the gas mileage. And it was QUIET and dependable. By the way, I think "retired guy" said it best in a previous post when it comes to driving a GN. I felt exactly the same way.
Anyway, fast forward 25 years. Like I mentioned before, I sold my airplane at the beginning of the summer. I had been on a search to end all searches for an '87 unmolested GN for pleasure driving and investment purposes. Wwwwwwellllllllllll............. I finally found one. And it's *Perfect*. 33k miles. The paint has a mirror finish. Not a nick, scratch, or smudge . Engine bay looks like it rolled off the assembly line yesterday. The owner took absolutely impeccable care of her. It has won its share of awards at cruise-ins. It's the "time capsule" I've been looking for. It's getting delivered here this weekend in an enclosed trailer.
My goal is to have a functional, street able, stock-appearing family cruiser that has an ample supply of muscle. All mods I plan on will be bolt in and "noticeably functional" so that they can be removed to make the car "stock" again ---if needed to keep its resale value. As you might know, the "high retail" value of our GN's is currently in the low $40k's, especially the unmolested ones. ( I saw a chevelle like mine on mecum that sold for $70k-- oh well).
Anyway, I plan on seeking much advice from those that know , here on this site, to accomplish my goals. I also plan on patronizing the vendors recommended here as I figure they are dependable, and honest ....Please correct me if I am wrong, but they wouldn't be here if they were not.
Thanks for having me on this site. (Note: the first thing to be acquired is a Scan Master.)
Johnnie

Welcome back to the Buick community. We have some things in common. I had a 1970 SS chevelle LS-6 that won 17 class trophies in the B/SA class in 1971 and my GN is 1.5+ seconds faster. I regretted selling the chevelle so I bought the GN new. I also have a private pilots license (not current). I too live in SW Ohio and if you need help with anything let me know. We need to meet sometime.

Mike

Mike, where are you in SW Ohio?? I am in Milford.
Right now I am trying to get this d@&n car home from Youngstown. The transport service I hired let me down today. I am very bummed.
The work I need done is things like transmission filter/ fluid change, and a fix of the ebrake . It won't release when activated.
The car hasn't been driven much in the last 5 years or so. I'm thinking I just need a general check up for the car..

Do you ever go to the Milford Friday evening cruise ins??

Yes, we will have to meet. I will look forward to that.

Johnnie

We live in Liberty Twp east of Hamilton. I can help you with a "spring cleaning" on your car to check things out.
I do go to cruise ins in the area but have not gone to that one.
I am currently getting my car ready for the Buick meet in Bowling Green Ky October 14-17th. It is a good place to see a lot of GN's race and show with vendors on site.

Mike

Johnnie,
Welcome to the site. There's lots of good info and great people here. Grab a beer and make yourself at home. Watch out for some of the vendors here. Rumor has it that they ain't right in the head. :D

Let us know if you have any questions. Happy spooling.:)

Mike Barnard

Mike, where are you in SW Ohio?? I am in Milford.
Right now I am trying to get this d@&n car home from Youngstown. The transport service I hired let me down today. I am very bummed.
The work I need done is things like transmission filter/ fluid change, and a fix of the ebrake . It won't release when activated.
The car hasn't been driven much in the last 5 years or so. I'm thinking I just need a general check up for the car..

Do you ever go to the Milford Friday evening cruise ins??

Yes, we will have to meet. I will look forward to that.

Johnnie
We live in Liberty Twp east of Hamilton. I can help you with a "spring cleaning" on your car to check things out.
I do go to cruise ins in the area but have not gone to that one.
I am currently getting my car ready for the Buick meet in Bowling Green Ky October 14-17th. It is a good place to see a lot of GN's race and show with vendors on site.

Mike

Hey, Getting my first GN in a few weeks. I'm in the Eastgate / Milford Area! Lets get together before Winter :) I'd like to get down to Bowling Green as well.