Frame Mount in an A-Body

camino70

I decided to start my project and I am in need of some assistance already...
I pulled the 350 and left the th350 in to help with mount placement. I have a buddies 3.8 block and I am using that to try and find where the frame mounts need to be. I purchased some frame mounts for a TR, knowing that would work with the motor mounts and was hoping GM used some sort of evolution from the a-body to g-body. I have the frame mounts in a spot with only two bolts(there are many holes in the frame, but none seem to fit all three for the mount), a third hole will need to be drilled. I was hoping someone here may have intimate knowledge about frame mounts.

TIA,
Ron

I have heard that if you use 350 buick frame & engine mounts everything will bolt together without a problem

Mount Location

When I did this I bolted the motor mounts to the engine, and bolted the frame mounts to the motor mounts, then lowered the Buick V6 into the engine compartment, bolted it to the 2004r trans, and bolted the rear of the trans to the trans crossmember. Then I lowered the engine all the way to the frame, made sure the top of the engine was level and marked around the edge of the mounts and inside the mount holes as best as I could reach.
Then I removed everything, drilled new holes and bolted the mounts in place. Now that I have the engine and trans in for good, I would have liked the engine to be about 1 inch further forward to make it easier to install the coil pack, spark plug wires, trans dipstick, etc but it worked out well regardless. Another thing to consider is what kind of intercooler you will use. I think if I try to use a stock or stock location intercooler on my car the sway bar will be in the way, so I may be forced to use a front mount. : )

So, if you're going to use the 2004r, I would install that instead of the TH350, or if you're going to keep the TH350, get the adapter plate and install it so that you can line up the engine and mounts properly.

As far as drilling the holes, I destroyed a lot of bits and ended up buying a set of Cobalt bits from Sears. They can get hotter without becoming soft. Start with as small a bit as possible and work up 1 bit size at a time. It turned out to be a lot easier than I expected.

I thought the 350 buick v8 mounts were identical to the Buick V6 mounts, so if you're A-Body is a Buick, you should be able to use the stock mounts like Rocketolds said. But if it's a Chevy you'll probably have to change them.

Thank you much for the info! Unfortunately, my A-body is a Chevy and I just lost an auction for a Buick A-body frame mount.

We'll see what happens.

Ron