? for street racers

SGRIM

Owner/Admin TB.com
Staff member
I have not street raced in over 11 years. Is there a simple "type" equation for figuring car lengths as relates to 1/4 e/t's. In other words if one car runs 12.0's and another 11.5's how many cars would the 12 car need to beat or break even. Or say a 13.0 car against a 11.0 car etc.... Just curious because I dont plan to street race:rolleyes:, but if a something comes up just wont to be prepared and not get burnt.

Screw all that spoting car lengths crap.:mad:
It's called street racing not bracket racing!
Like I've always said, Run What You Brung And Hope You Brung Enough!!!!!!!:cool:

I was always told a car length in the 1/4 was about a tenth. Hopefully someone else has an opinion. And 10HP along with 1MPH is also about a tenth. You could always whip out the handy dandy calculator and see what distance is covered comparing say 110.0MPH to 110.1MPH and if the distance is around what 16 feet then there's your car length for a low 12 sec car.

I dont street race but when I was younger,,,well anyway I remember 1 car length is close to a tenth of a sec. Just what I remember.

Originally posted by BoostKillsStres
I was always told a car length in the 1/4 was about a tenth.

This is what I've heard as well, though it's hard to eyeball at 110 mph ;)

I guess if you taped some races at the drag strip, and compared them to their et's/mph you could figure it out.

Pete

Originally posted by Army MP
Screw all that spoting car lengths crap.:mad:
It's called street racing not bracket racing!
Like I've always said, Run What You Brung And Hope You Brung Enough!!!!!!!:cool:

I don't think he meant spotting people lengths from a start, but I agree with you 100%. If someone asked me to give them a "2 car start", I'd ask 'em "What the hell for? If you don't think you have what it takes to run me heads up, you're already in over your head!".

I would say if someone challenges me to a street race, they better be prepared to start even or they should not have challenged in the first place. I would feel like an idiot to challenge someone and then ask for a head start :D

I agree with you guys, I hate spot races, but it happens. A lot.

How can you be proud to have "won" when you were spotted out x number of cars?

Careful for all of the innovative street racing tricks out there. For instance.."a car and the break" can be worth alot more than you think. I've seen it done, you get the break, pull out your fuse and no brake lights work. By the time you realize they already left, your nervous, start spinning and they are coasting through the finish line laughing. Run what you brung or dont bother. Remember action is faster than reaction, dont take a car and give them the break, its their advantage....too many scams and its easy to get in over your head.

Originally posted by gnturboray
I dont street race but when I was younger,,,well anyway I remember 1 car length is close to a tenth of a sec. Just what I remember.

Well, since nobody else did it... here is a break down:

MPH - ft traveled per tenth of a second

100 - 14.7'
105 - 15.4'
110 - 16.1'
115 - 16.9'
120 - 17.6'
125 - 18.3'
130 - 19.1'
135 - 19.8'

using (X*5280)/60/60/10 , where X is your speed

And to ad to the list, 100 lbs is good for a tenth too... of course, off the front is better for weight transfer - but you all know that already:D

Vic

THANKS & NEW ???????

Thanks for the info that was about what I thought 1 car 1/10. Just trying to keep from getting burnt. If anyone boared, what do you think the hit is worth. .5sec?? 1sec??? etc.....:D

The "hit" or the "break" is usually worth the most in my experiences.(plenty;)) If your car can hook, the hit can be worth atleast 2-3 cars if not more if your conterpart spins, or is caught sleeping. Without traction though, it will most likely mean nothing, unless the other guy spins.

I have seen an 8 second car lose to a 10 second car on the street(no VHT), with 2 car lenghts and the hit, for a spot. The total spot was worth about 6-8 car lengths, even though the faster car stole the hit.

The "hit" or the "break" is usually worth the most in my experiences.(plenty;)) If your car can hook, the hit can be worth atleast 2-3 cars if not more if your conterpart spins, or is caught sleeping. Without traction though, it will most likely mean nothing, unless the other guy spins.

I have seen an 8 second car lose to a 10 second car on the street(no VHT), with 2 car lenghts and the hit, for a spot. The total spot was worth about 6-8 car lengths, even though the faster car stole the hit.