Finally swapped in new PTC converter

BOP4ever

A couple of years ago I took my GN to the track for its first run.
Ran 12.5@110. First pass down the track. Noticed shift light at 5200 was coming on about the 1/8 mile
Or so... logs from turbolink showed about 23 % slip in the converter.

So last year I orderd a PTC 9.5 from dusty. I had hoped to take it for a follow up run this week but work didn't allow. I got it in the car this afternoon and this was my impression on the test drive compared to the 9.5 Art-Carr clone ala Redneck converter. Off idle it was looser and felt softer than the old one but drove well and manners were really good idling and in traffic. Cruise was nice 1900-2000 rpm at 55 mph. I used the trans brake to see where it stalled at 0 boost and it. 2900-3000 on the scan master. A couple of full throttle runs were good off the line it felt very similar to the old one but when it hit third looking at the scan master it was holding the engine to about 4200-4400 on the shift and it felt to pull harder up top but maybe that was wishful thinking. Lol

Can't wait to get a track pass to see if 1000 bucks
Is faster than 200 bucks ! I am satisfied so far that it is better though and I like it so far.

So you modified the transmission for the non-lock Converter I assume. I also dropped the money for Dusty's Converter on Bisson recommendation a few years ago, you will like it on the track were it shines on the top end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trans is built with billet drum and i forget the builders name... jessh memory
Anyway trans has been great he was one of the guys recommmendee hear but sort of dropped off shortly after I purchased it. I changed the filter and refilled with dextron 6 while I was at it.
The pan was super clean no metal very little dust... wiped wiped it out with a shop towel and buttoned it back up. Hope to go to the track soon... been a few years. Gotta find my computer so I can get some
Data logs.

Trans is built with billet drum and i forget the builders name... jessh memory
Anyway trans has been great he was one of the guys recommmendee hear but sort of dropped off shortly after I purchased it. I changed the filter and refilled with dextron 6 while I was at it.
The pan was super clean no metal very little dust... wiped wiped it out with a shop towel and buttoned it back up. Hope to go to the track soon... been a few years. Gotta find my computer so I can get some
Data logs.
my trans builder told me to stay away from Dextron 6... Is that what you had in the trans initially?

He said back when purchased it that d6 or D3..
I'd had D3 in it til now...
I thought D6 was better... Cost more !!!

Yea I know. If I were you I would ask more opinions and do some research on my own. Dex 6 is a great product. Its in my 2004r and allison. I have 374k on the allison ;)

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Thats a first I've ever heard of. I stick with my dex 6.

Yea I know. If I were you I would ask more opinions and do some research on my own. Dex 6 is a great product. Its in my 2004r and allison. I have 374k on the allison ;)

yeah copy that. Hell I'll ask him why he doesn't recommend the 6 and see what he says.

A couple of years ago I took my GN to the track for its first run.
Ran 12.5@110. First pass down the track. Noticed shift light at 5200 was coming on about the 1/8 mile
Or so... logs from turbolink showed about 23 % slip in the converter.

So last year I orderd a PTC 9.5 from dusty. I had hoped to take it for a follow up run this week but work didn't allow. I got it in the car this afternoon and this was my impression on the test drive compared to the 9.5 Art-Carr clone ala Redneck converter. Off idle it was looser and felt softer than the old one but drove well and manners were really good idling and in traffic. Cruise was nice 1900-2000 rpm at 55 mph. I used the trans brake to see where it stalled at 0 boost and it. 2900-3000 on the scan master. A couple of full throttle runs were good off the line it felt very similar to the old one but when it hit third looking at the scan master it was holding the engine to about 4200-4400 on the shift and it felt to pull harder up top but maybe that was wishful thinking. Lol

Can't wait to get a track pass to see if 1000 bucks
Is faster than 200 bucks ! I am satisfied so far that it is better though and I like it so far.

I have always felt my Art Carr converter pulled harder than the PTC. Specially in the low and mid range. The PTC has better top end though. That's was the most obvious thing for me.

Looking forward to the results, my guess is the more boost you can through at it the better that converter will work. If the converter is tight enough up top so that the shifts stay below 5000 rpm, it should cook with the boost maxed out.

I need to play with the TV I think I left it where it was, but it seemed to short shift 1-2 else it just spun hard and shifted. It was hard to be sure it did spin some but just a little in second kicking the rear to the side. No smoke just some short black marks when I hit it off idle as a test.
Car really looses power when the temps hit about 80 outside .

For the money the old converter was pretty darn good I think looking back.
I am hoping for about at .3-.5 and 3-5 mph gain with this unit though.
Hate to get my hopes up. Lol
23-24 psi go from 12.55@110.33 to 12.0 @115-116.
Anyone want to hazard the guess the et game ? 60 foot was 2.026 1/8 was 8.129@89.25, 1000 was 10.51 in od at that point . I think I got at 12.45 with a 109.8 on a 1.94 60ft on the second pass.
Don't know when I'll get to go race though.
Removal video attached playing with time elapse.

Last edited:
He is a local guy who has several 200's in Turbo Buicks rolling around. Recommended dextron 2-3. Told me specifically to stay away from dextron 6.
Yeah, not trying to start anything but I don't feel that is very good advice. But to each his own. I'll leave it at that. Tons of threads here on that subject already...