Eng / turbo question

blestx4

What is a good engine setup for a GREDDY T-78 .85 AR TURBO? Could a Vortec 350 with a forged crank custom efi intake and plumbing work? Would it restrict a 350? It has a t4 flange. It supposedly made 750 hp or so at the rear wheels of a 400 equipped chevelle. My goal would be low elevens streetable reliable power. I am looking at my options and if this is possible it might be cheaper for me than converting to used 86/87 setup. Unless I could trade the turbo/ manifold t4 flange for an intercooled 86/87 upgrade. What would you build? Thanks for your answers in advance. The car is a decent running 84gn

yes that would be just fine on that combo. for headers go on ebay and get a set of the $130 twin turbo headers from ssautochrome or whoever sells them nowadays, cut the flanges off and weld on v-bands, and make a Y-pipe. and dotn start with the ssautochrome ****, they are very good headers, and a good price. You'll want to spin it up to about 6500 rpm to make the most out of that turbo, and with a decent converter will spool very fast.
Gary

Intake

Maybe a victor tapped for injectors . Like I said I am considering my options.
Have you guys seen the L92 heads for LS engines from Gm This months GMhtp magazine and car craft tested them. 900 $ assembled FOR A SET!!! and capable on a naturally aspirated engine around 550 hp. OHHHHH MAN!!! TECHNOLOGY IS AWESOME. I am researching and planning as I dont want to just get 1 setup bc it was wasy and then regret not stepping up.

A vortec 350 will be enough for that T78 without any mods and would go low 11's easily. Find out more info on that Greddy 78. It's a good chance it's no bigger than a 70mm, maybe a 67mm or so. The 4 bolt will be enough for that engine.

If you went to an LS1 based engine with those L92 heads you'll need more turbo.

Edelbrock may make an EFI ready intake for the Vortec pattern.

What plans for ECU??

ecu

I would have to use fast or some programmable unit wouldnt I? What do you guys have experience with and what do you recommend?

For the older motors like the Vortec I always run FAST XFI systems. I don't have any experience with the LS1 motors but supposedly their stock ECM's can be made to work with a programmable system like LS1 edit.

Whatever motor you choose you'll need some kind of programmable system.

Thanks

Maybe getting a job upgrade so project may get to snowball soon. Ill keep ya posted.

more questions

Okay. On a vortec block how much power can I make before I see carnage?
Any advice for good turbo books covering design and parameters. Could I step down to a .63 ar compressor and use this turbo on a 3.8 and have decent streetability? 4.1? I know there are a lot of open parameters there. The car would be mostly street driven so my main concern is reliability. I dont want a car that I have to work on every 100 miles of use. The vortec 350 in my truck had tons of abuse and is still going at 173,000 miles and the ones in our work trucks regularly saw 250000 + with minor gasket acessory problems only. For those of you who have tried the turbo 6, stage motors etc what are some of ups/ downs of each?