Energy Absorbers... New or Used?

darkfa8

- driving everywhere -
Mine are essentially shot.. of the few accidents and bumps I've had with my car they no longer extend back out after a hit...

The pricing I've got from the dealer on a new set, even at 10% above dealer cost on all four will run me about or just under $200

Anyone think its wise to get them off a junkyard car or just save my pennies and get new ones?

4 new Gm for $200 doesnt sound bad! As far as used ones, you never know how long there going to last, before they start to leak and fail. hopefully, you will never have to find out.

absorbing

Dan needs all the absorbtion he can get:eek: :D :eek: ;)

maybe a set of rear cargo springs mounted up there?

:cool:

<KM>

for what i can get GM parts for trying to get them through GM Parts Direct winds up costing more since they nail you to the wall with their shipping rates.

He is talking about the energy absorbers for the bumpers. You can get by using used ones. As far as I know there is just a spring that returns them back to the original position. When an absorber is compressed it will scrape the paint off on the shaft. You should be able to find used ones if you look at the paint to see if they have been compressed. If you are worried about the safety aspect look at it this way, we all know they used 3 different types of front bumpers(2 different rears) and they are supposed to be rated for a 5 MPH impact with no damage. You cant tell me that the Canadian style and aluminum reinforcement versions are going to come out of an impact with the same results as the steel version. Go with what your budget will afford you. Used energy asorbers for the front are they same as 81-87 Cutlass coupes and Regal coupes and the rears are used on 81-87 Grand Prixs and Regal coupes. Eric Fisher

i thought he was talking about them in the beginning, then he threw in the bumps part of it and figured he was addressing them as energy not shock absorbers.

Darkf8 why not just ask brian?

No problem, maybe darkf8 should be exiled for using his car as battering ram. Just kidding. Hey if they dont get out way push them off the road. Eric