Early 1-2 shift

Kawaiikeno

Last summer in an attempt to town down the shift harshness I had the modded CK valve body and governor replaced with a stock BR valve body and governor, at the time a CK performance shift calibration kit was added.
The 1-2 shift happens at very low speed regardless of throttle position while the 2-3 and 3-4 are very good and get harder as throttle is applied. I don't think it has anything to do with the shift kit but rather a possible stuck valve or when I cleaned the valve body I put something together wrong. I'm thinking it's in the 1-2 valve.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to do this once.
Car is a SS Monte Carlo with a 200-4r and 8.5 rearend with 4:11 gears
Thanks Mike

A stock BR valve body and governor are calibrated for 3:42 gears not 4:11's. What rpm/speed does the 1-2 shift occur at WOT?

You would probably be better off with the cz vb/gov from a mcss that had the 3.73 gears if that is a thing. Or at a minimum you need a speedo/gov gear from one.
The gov is spinning pretty fast with those 4.11 gears and it is signaling the shift imo.

I have several different governors, that won't be a problem to change.But all the valve bodies i have have had so many hands on them I'm not sure what they are any more.
I thought the governor would affect all the forward gears at part hrottle.
Thanks Mike

It might. If the vb has been into and goofed with it is hard to know what will happen without trying it out. I'm using an AA vb and modded gov and it it pretty quick from 1-2 like you describe. I was going to put a washer into the 1-2 shift valve in the vb next time i change the fluid/filter and see if it might help. Are you running a larger boost valve too. That just adds to the pressure also to make it shift.

I put the unmolested BR valve body and governor in with a ck shift kit because the one that was in it shifted so violent it was hard to get a 1-2 shift that didn't get a chirp from the tires. the trans is a B Hofer build that except for some early servo issues has been a beast . The TV cable is set correctly and has good pressure everything is great but for the early 1-2 shift.
I will try a heavier governor,I also would like to find someone to go through two other valve bodies i have and unmolest them
thanks Mike

You need a lighter gov. to make it shift later. Does your gov. have a spring on the big weight?

I think the GN governor is the lightest available it has 1 spring I dont remember what weight it's on if I had to guess I'd say the small one and i pinned it , the ck is a medium weight one and I have one with two large weights
thanks Mike