E85 or not

Mark E

Have an 86 GN 40k original, dut intercooler neck, 42lb injectors, tt chip, 255 lph pump, hotwire, kirban 100# valve springs. Thinking hard about switching to e85. Turbo needs rebuild and fuel pump probably should be replaced, chip was for 93 oct which I can't get near by anymore. 91 and octane boost has been a bit inconsistent.
Guys who have made the switch is it worth it? Issues? Tips?
Will be buying either a new turbo if switching or rebuilding mine maybe consider ta49 if staying gasoline. If you have something used for sale let me know.
I want to stay away from a scan master on the dash, want to keep as much of the stock look as possible but something reliable and will last without spending a bunch of money each year is ultimate goal.
Thank you, appreciate the forum. Not too many sources of information locally for these bricks.

Yea I made the switch maybe a couple weeks back!

You will need to upgrade ur injectors,fuel pump and maybe ur return line, and new chip! And get a adjustable FP regulator

I run 25lbs of boost no alky!
One of the best mods that I did!

And I would get some type of scan master! It's very important to see how the car is running at all times.

If you have access to E85 in your area then you would be crazy not to take advantage of it.

If you must have "flex fuel" capability and you want to keep it simple and easy, then you could always purchase a thumbwheel chip and have it programmed for an E85 calibration on one channel and a pump gas calibration on another channel. That way you could switch it back and forth as needed. Just don't give it much boost when you have it filled with 93! Lol

For E85 you'll need to upgrade the fuel system. Top notch fuel pump wiring all the way to the pump, a DW300 fuel pump, a volt booster, 80lb injectors is the bare minimum.

Thank you guys for the replies. I think I m going to make the switch. Any advice on what's needed to connect an fittings to the rails/tank?

Thank you guys for the replies. I think I m going to make the switch. Any advice on what's needed to connect an fittings to the rails/tank?

With a DW300 fuel pump you can use your stock fuel lines if you wish.

I know you said you wanted to stay away from a scan master on the dash but I feel like you'd be crazy to not have any data on your car, especially since you're going to be making some more power on e85 than you had been on pump gas. with that being said I think this would be your best option http://www.scanmaster.bailey-eng.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know you said you wanted to stay away from a scan master on the dash but I feel like you'd be crazy to not have any data on your car, especially since you're going to be making some more power on e85 than you had been on pump gas. with that being said I think this would be your best option http://www.scanmaster.bailey-eng.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. One of those mounted on the pillar can replace a boost gauge and provide a lot more info.

"I want to stay away from a scan master on the dash, want to keep as much of the stock look as possible but something reliable and will last without spending a bunch of money each year is ultimate goal."
Sell the Buick now!!!:):)
E-85, 80lb injectors and a beefy fuel pump. Keep the stock lines and use the Kirban Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator. The all billet one.
I'm testing a car, 6262, PI Vigilante, 80's, stock long block with a Walbro 340 and a volt booster, TT 6.1 chip.
So far... 18psi and 10.2 A/F Ratio means it wants more BOOST!

I was gonna ask similar ? So I'll jump in here if it's cool.
I finally have access to E85. I have a bone stock TR I was gonna upgrade.

What chip are you guys using for E85? Would I just get a combo injectors and chip from Turbo Tweak?

I'm not looking to build a race car, just wanna maximize stock Turbo. Plan on it being a daily driver. So I'd wanna get a DW300 pump (is that in tank like the walbro?) and I can use stock fuel lines?

I was gonna ask similar ? So I'll jump in here if it's cool.
I finally have access to E85. I have a bone stock TR I was gonna upgrade.

What chip are you guys using for E85? Would I just get a combo injectors and chip from Turbo Tweak?

I'm not looking to build a race car, just wanna maximize stock Turbo. Plan on it being a daily driver. So I'd wanna get a DW300 pump (is that in tank like the walbro?) and I can use stock fuel lines?

I'm am using a TT chip with matching 80lb injectors! U need a adjustable fuel regulator. Kirban has a nice factory location one!

I got a aem320lph pump . I'm running 25lbs on stock turbo but I do have a 3in two piece DP. my engine is completely stock to! Tune is perfect

I'm am using a TT chip with matching 80lb injectors! U need a adjustable fuel regulator. Kirban has a nice factory location one!

I got a aem320lph pump . I'm running 25lbs on stock turbo but I do have a 3in two piece DP. my engine is completely stock to! Tune is perfect

Any times on the car?

Any times on the car?

No I do not track is still close around here! And well it's my old car I should say!sold it to my buddy over winter! I have a supercharge crown vic with around 400rwhp. He keeps up with me , his front bumper is by my driver door!

That's the second time youve done that in this thread. He will get a notification of your "PM." No need to post that you sent him one. Its actually rather rude. Much like whispering to someone during a meeting or dinner. Forums are for open discussions.

How else do you notify (PM) 2 different people participating in the same discussion?

How else do you notify (PM) 2 different people participating in the same discussion?
Click reply and it quotes the person you're trying to reply to and it also sends them an alert that you replied to their comment. You should get an alert from this comment :)

If you have no desire to know what the car is doing, I recommend selling the engine while it's still worth something.

It'll be much less valuable after it blows apart when you crank the boost up.

If you have no desire to know what the car is doing, I recommend selling the engine while it's still worth something.

It'll be much less valuable after it blows apart when you crank the boost up.

They will be fine earl they have the stock boost gauge . Lol but really guys the power doesn't come from just switching fuels . I will tell you when I switched to e85 there was a learning curve that unfortunately took a turbo to find out . Basically if you don't run enough timing with ethonal your EGTs will go through the roof and start to melt stuff . I learned that you need to raise the timing to lower your EGTs unlike gas now off course there is a limit . Also if you guys don't have someway of seeing what's going on with your a/f ratio and other important parameters I would have to agree with earl sell it while it's still worth something or you can become good at doing head gaskets like me lol .

For the stock appearing crowd, what if someone at the gas station sees you put in e85? Oh no! Not stock! Be gone demon!