E85 Goo, How To Say Goo Bye To It!!

Well I have a goal of 10.99 will the 120s and twin racetronix pumps be enough? Combo is champion irons, champion intake, 212/212, pte 6466, etc. Stock bottom. I plan on running around 24/25 psi but I will turn it up more if needed.

Well I have a goal of 10.99 will the 120s and twin racetronix pumps be enough? Combo is champion irons, champion intake, 212/212, pte 6466, etc. Stock bottom. I plan on running around 24/25 psi but I will turn it up more if needed.
Plenty. Your duty cycle will be less than 70% to hit that goal

Bringing this back from the dead. Found something interesting I think applies.

Basically there was a study done that shows there is VERY little difference between E50 and E85 on the anti-knock index. E50 tests out at 95.6 on the antiknock index. E85 tested out at 95.8.

Lower ethanol blends like E50 have enough gasoline in them that the GOO build-up never happens.

So it seems there is zero reason to run anything over E50! (From what I've been reading anyway). Which means running all over town to find "E85" just isn't necessary, as E50 or E70 will provide basically the same knock protection as E85.

In the test they were able to run the same MBT timing and compression levels on E50 as they were able to run on E85. This means we don't need crazy fuel systems to support E85 and would be just fine running E50. No goo, less fuel demand, same antiknock properties... I'm still a little gun shy of the lesser mixtures. We usually have E70 year round at the pump closest to my house so I've been running that this past year with no issues. I may try mixing my own E50 next year with ethanol free 91 as the base.

Heres a link to the research paper

http://www.nav200.delphi.com/pdf/techpapers/2010-01-0619.pdf

80-e85_20knock_zpspxp7j76k_60547a138b11f0ab5cb913baae9b00e77644b8a7.jpg

80-screenshot_2015_12_29_18_36_51_zps9ixodyoy_45f32134a3385e5ea9c8f77b40299ccd26ad5043.png

How in the world are people running 35psi on 100 octane? and dont say cooling effect.
People are running 30 lbs of boost by spraying a relatively small amount of alcohol on top of the 93 octane gasoline that their engines are running on. What does the alcohol do that allows this kind of boost. Does it increase the octane of the gasoline up to 116?

It's not a small amount and methanol and ethonal both are very good at cooling the intake charge .

Im talking straight E85. Go to Yellow Bullet and you will see serious compression and high boost on this stuff. I dont buy the octane rating at all. Real world is defiantly higher than 100 oct.

Im talking straight E85.
Of course you are. It's very obvious. The other obvious thing that you are doing is completely dismissing what cooling the combustion chamber allows you to accomplish. I'll ask again. What does the alcohol that people spray on top of 93 octane gasoline do to allow the high boost numbers and big power production that we see in the turbo Buick community?

During WWII a man named Frank walker was given the task of making more power with a Pratt & Whitney r-2800 radial airplane engine. By injecting water into the engines centrifugal mechanical super charger,Frank was able to produce 2,800 hp from the same engine that previously produced 2,000. Please don't dismiss the effectiveness of cooling the combustion chambers of an engine.

http://www.enginehistory.org/Frank WalkerWeb1.pdf

FYI.100 % ethanol is 117 octane.
E85 is typically thought to be 110 octane. I think 112 is more realistic.
E70 is typically thought to be 105 octane. I think 1o7 is more realistic.

Last edited:
No need to tell me about the cooling effect. I have data on my car that shows me exactly what it likes. I also knew the history lesson that you gave. I dont really see where we are in disagreement?
I just think a hand full of the tb community is spraying on top tho. Some choose not to spray even though they have it.

Follow the tech paper link and read carefully. Make note of when they talk about stoich operation and when they do not.

People are running 30 lbs of boost by spraying a relatively small amount of alcohol on top of the 93 octane gasoline that their engines are running on. What does the alcohol do that allows this kind of boost. Does it increase the octane of the gasoline up to 116?
at least 116,i have pumped enough meth/water in where the only limiting factor is the ability to make more boost.never found a knock limit.cooling must have a huge impact,perhaps the weight of the fuel may contribute.

I ran a 10.99 with 120's, and my DC was 65% and still a bit rich.