E-85 availability

belsie

I have spoken and e-mailed with several fuel suppliers in regards to E-86 and most of them have no clue as to the demand from the performance crowd and how much they could sell if made available!!!

I am in C. Florida and HAVE only 2 stations in an area of 4 counties because their market studies show no demand from the average consumer!!!

I assume there are other parts of the USA which this is also true, if so I would suggest anyone interested in spending some time with phone calls or letters / e-mails to your area gas station companies to alert them to a potential market for us and many other users.

The buyers of E-85 are fewer than regular gas consumers but making it available will bring in a new user and compliment other services and items they may offer!!!

LET THEM KNOW THE DEMAND IS OUT THERE, SMALL BUT LOYAL IT WON'T HURT TO TRY....

80 VIEWS and No Replies............. I hope this means some of you are contacting your local suppliers and might as well contact your area congressman or representative to see why the fuel we were told is the best thing since sliced bread is not being marketed or even made available to us concerned citizens!!

There is more non-ethanol fuel being offered than E-85 in some areas, how does this help the farmer and the environment???

If you like the fuel please notify someone or it will die away..........................................

The elephant in the room is the all powerful oil companies. It's a well known fact oil companies do not support biofuels, like e85, despite what they may say in the face of the public. It simply cuts into their profits. The only reason we have any ethanol in our fuel to begin with is because the Government banned MTBE, which was a great anti-knock additive but studies have shown it to cause cancer and it was contaminating our groundwater. Enter ethanol. Government mandates [Alternative Motor Fuels Act (1988), Clean Air Act (1990), Energy Policy Act (2005), Renewable Standard Fuel Act (2006)] forced oil companies to add ethanol to our fuel. It was never the oil companies choice to use ethanol so it stands to reason why they will not support it's growth. Just my 2 cents worth..

Last edited:
The elephant in the room is the all powerful oil companies. It's a well known fact oil companies do not support biofuels, like e85, despite what they may say in the face of the public. It simply cuts into their profits. The only reason we have any ethanol in our fuel to begin with is because the Government banned MTBE, which was a great anti-knock additive but studies have shown it to cause cancer and it was contaminating our groundwater. Enter ethanol. Government mandates [Alternative Motor Fuels Act (1988), Clean Air Act (1990), Energy Policy Act (2005), Renewable Standard Fuel Act (2006)] forced oil companies to add ethanol to our fuel. It was never the oil companies choice to use ethanol so it stands to reason why they will not support it's growth. Just my 2 cents worth..

Understood...............but the mass suppliers have no clue as to the potential market from the performance arena!!
As I have discussed w/ suppliers as they build new stations thru-out my backyard is the loyalty of the group will go where the product is and will also purchase items in store i.e. food, lottery tickets, coffee,etc................. the potential small as it may seem will draw from a larger area than their market studies show!!!!

Hopefully it will work in your State. That approach is not likely to work where I live. The performance market is too small and unorganized. Hell, we can't even convince the State to get a race track built let alone get them to allow the sale of e-85 here.

now with gas price dropping below what they can sell e85 for , combine with the addition fuel usage running e85 vs regular gas(e10) _ its not going to sell much e85 for everyday driving

^^^^Great point. The lower cost of e-85 is what made it more appealing to the masses. If it now costs more than regular gas, I would think the only people who would continue to buy it is the performance guys. And how big is that market in the grand scheme of things? I would guess it depends on where you live...

So far still cheaper than gas here in Florida but that's not the reason to choose it for us! I believe the local fuel suppliers and even the politicians need to be advised of the lack of coverage in so many areas. Since it is not the popular choice it could become even harder to find?

in nj there are 2 stations that sell e85 , one north jersey (scotch plains) the other in south jersey ( crazy Joes hamonton rt 206). otherwise its a trip into philly and even then theres just two in the city (vine st and center city)

for the racer the e85 vs race fuel is a no brainer as far as performance vs dollar , the tracks started carrying VP C85 e85 in five gallon pails but i wont be running it ... the cost for VP although cheaper than race fuel is still way more than what it sells for at the pump..69.00 for 5 gal pail and at that price consuming twice the fuel running c85 vs c16 .. c16is cheaper (not by much )

Thanks guys, now we are getting some feedback! If everyone using or considering E-85 stays on top of this and posts the availability or lack of, in their area here so we can see the weak spots.

If 1 or more persons from each area can make some phone calls, e-mails etc... to gain the attention of the suppliers and performance crowd!! We GN guys are not the only ones looking at or using E-85 so spread the word.........................