Draw thru carb with a problem, HELP.

dmarx

OK, it's been a while since I was on the list, however, I still lurk. The '28 Essex with the '79 3.8 Turbo is finished. The idle is at about 700 -850 rpm. I can accelerate the engine slowly by hand and all is smooth, however, when I put it in gear it wants to stall , the engine then has a major hiccup and pops back thru the carb upon acceleration. Timing is 15 degrees and the carb has been rebuilt. Mixture screws set at 3.25 turns. Looking for any suggestions and of course opinions. Carb has been professionally rebuilt. Could it be fuel starvation or need a couple of degrees added to the timing?
Thanks
Dan

popping through the carb, I've found is almost always from a lean condition. Does it squirt fuel from the accel pump if you look down the carb ?

If the accel pump does squirt, then next i'd turn the fuel screws out and see if it improves. Also you can't really tune a cold engine, so give it time to warm up before tinkering.

Have you tried to block the wheels and stand on the brakes and brake torque it while you have someone watch the timing to see if the timing advances. My computer wasn't working proper and the timing control was almost locked and wouldn't advance causing a similar issue.