Door Rust Repair

Westriver87

I am in the process of replacing all my weatherstripping. I removed my door weatherstripping and found a rust spot where I guess the old weatherstripping held moisture. This is the only rust on the car, so I want it to be fixed right. I can get to all the back of it. Should i clean it up with a wire wheel and fill it or take it and have it welded up? If I do fill it, what filler is recommended? The ripples below this is factory sealer not rust bubbles. The inside of the doors have never been painted. Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• door rust.jpg
    door rust.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 222
SAND BLAST THE ENTIRE DOOR LOWER SEAM,YOU CAN WELD UP THE SMALL HOLES,I WOULD THEN TREAT THE INSIDE AND OUTSIDE WITH EPOXY, METAL ETCH PRIMER , THEN PRIME OR SEAL.. I WOULD THEN TAKE MASK TAPE AND TAPE THE EDGE IF THE DOOR,2 PIECES OF TAPE TO GUIDE THE SEAMSEALER ALONG THE ENTIRE SURROUND OF THE DOOR(LIKE FACTORY) THE TAPE WILL GIVE YOU A NICE LINE,AFTER SEAM SEALER IS APPLIED,PULL THE TAPE OFF..RE-PRIME OFER THE SEAM SEALER, THEN TOPCOAT... GOOD LUCK, THOSE DOORS ARE STILL IN VERY NICE CONDITION..

x2 very good advise. sand blast is the best repair. and weld up holes. if you just fill it ,it will be back in no time

I dont want to hurt the paint on the outside of the door. So what would be the proper way to protect it? Just put a few layers of tape around the door edge and cover the outside of the door with paper?

I had my driver door blasted at my powder coaters last year pretty cheap. I had them do everything except the door shell and it came out great.
I found a stress crack after I got it done that I did not see before hand. Make sure you Etch primer it after you get it done to seal it so it doesnt
start to rust.

I've sandblasted bottom door seams many times. I always used one of those small hand held siphon blasters and removed the factory paint and sealant gunk with a small wire wheel on a drill first. The only protection is making sure the wire wheel doesn't ride up the outer door and throwing a big drop sheet over the car to protect the insides etc from sand. Other than that its almost all in the angle you're shooting at . Almost.

Also because that rust looks kinda weird the way it ate thru-I would sandblast inside it and treat it with Rust Mort and spray paint like the others said.

Sandblasting (silica)is nasty for those who don't know. Safety priority d0 it outside with a fan blowing the dust away from you and wear a respriator.

I have felt from the inside and there is no rust. It rusted from the outside in due to the weather stripping holding moisture. The big hole on the bottom is the door drain whole in the middle bottom of the door. I took a pick and tapped on it, thats what made the other little holes. I am still going to seal everything I can reach on the inside of the door after its welded up. I am going to pull the doors, cover the outside of the door with tape and cardboard, make a door panel out of cardboard and tape it on so media cant get in the door, blast the door, weld up the wholes and seal everything up. The top of the door has some surfice rust on it where the big end piece of weather stripping was sitting up by the pillar on the door. It hasn't at through, so I figure it will get blasted and then filled up.

take the glass and all the tracks out,or it will get in all of that crap and sound horrible