Directscan and wide band O2

GNRick

Retired member
I just bought a DS from a board member (if he emails me with payment instructions). I already have a laptop. I would like to step up my scanning abilities from my OTC4000. I am thinking of my next purchase, a wide band o2 sensor for $80 from Full Throttle, and a bung. I have lots of questions....I already have a turbo tweek chip.....do I need anything else to hook up the wide band, what does it show that a narrow band O2 doesn't, what kind of numbers should I be looking for on the Wide Band? Is the TT chip adjustable? Should I purchase anything else to compliment the Directscan? Thanks!

I just bought a DS from a board member (if he emails me with payment instructions). I already have a laptop. I would like to step up my scanning abilities from my OTC4000. I am thinking of my next purchase, a wide band o2 sensor for $80 from Full Throttle, and a bung. I have lots of questions....I already have a turbo tweek chip.....do I need anything else to hook up the wide band, what does it show that a narrow band O2 doesn't, what kind of numbers should I be looking for on the Wide Band? Is the TT chip adjustable? Should I purchase anything else to compliment the Directscan? Thanks!

You should have gone with Powerlogger instead of Direct Scan. DS cannot read a wideband, Powerlogger can.

Direct Scan is a good tool, leaps and bounds beyond your OTC. But it's been surpassed by better technology.

If you keep the DS, you'll need to get a gauge with your Wideband O2, and monitor it seperately.

So far the seller hasn't emailed me with payment instructions. What should I look for in the wideband that a narrow band doesn't show?

Hmmm that is weird.....I have been monitoring and recording wideband for the last year with my Directscan....:)
I do have ME-R though, maybe Eric can help you out with an analog input on your ecm or something.

Hmmm that is weird.....I have been monitoring and recording wideband for the last year with my Directscan....:)
I do have ME-R though, maybe Eric can help you out with an analog input on your ecm or something.

So where did you input the wideband signal? Enquirering minds want to know. :biggrin:

How is this accomplished? You must of had to hardwire the WBO2 into the ECM somehow? And what mods to the DS software were made to allow it to even display that info?

It would help if that info were available.

Yes the analog output of the LC-1 feeds into the ecm (will have to check which wire exactly, a spare). The Directscan doesn't need nything else, it just reads it on a different line on the screen. The ecm was modified by Bob Bailey for an extra analog input.

Mine didn't require a modified ECM.... I have a wideband controlled chip (Pre-production) from Eric.... similar to his current 6.0 chip...except mine is for DS... not powerlogger......... Eric uses the air temp sensor wires to feed the ECM the wideband signal.... you can then make a small mod to the ds file... and it will show you the wideband reading......133 would be 13.3 AFR on the wideband....

It can be done....

FWIW... he isn't supporting the wideband controlled chip... and DS anymore... because it takes a little amplifier module that is extra $$..... since DS has been obsoleted by the powerlogger... he is supporting a powerlogger compatible chip.... which due to the way powerlogger reads the WB O2.... doesn't require an extra amplifier module...

Looks like I will soon be making a deal for the Direct Scan. Good info, keep it coming!

PLX website says you can just replace the stock O2 sensor with their WB O2 sensor. Seems kind of pricey at $400...what do you guys think? Does anybody else make a wide band to replace the stock narrow band without having to install a new bung? How much does turbobob charge to modify the stock ECM to read Wide Band info? Sure would be nice if I can avoid removing the downpipe to install a bung.

PLX Devices Inc.

PLX website says you can just replace the stock O2 sensor with their WB O2 sensor. Seems kind of pricey at $400...what do you guys think? Does anybody else make a wide band to replace the stock narrow band without having to install a new bung? How much does turbobob charge to modify the stock ECM to read Wide Band info? Sure would be nice if I can avoid removing the downpipe to install a bung.

PLX Devices Inc.

I just did some research and I guess the WB needs to be pointed up to avoid water problems, and at least 18" away from the turbo, in the downpipe. Always learning something new. :smile: