Craigslist litmus test

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
I have had a few things sitting around the house that I decided to list on Craigslist for free. I put in the ad I would meet the interested party at the local police station. I do not want strangers at my house unless it is unavoidable due to size of item.

One person has responded to the ad and when I wrote back that I could meet them on "X" day and reiterated the police location, I never heard back. In contrast I did sell one item recently and the guy met me there with no issues. And I have bought from a few people where we mutually agreed to meet at a public place, again with no issues.

I think it is reasonable to say the free seekers are looking less than honorable if they cannot stomach the police parking lot. Guess I will start dropping this stuff at Goodwill from now on.

that's a great idea LOL I usually meet people at the cvs next to my house and sold a guitar to a guy one night and ending up rescuing a girl with dead battery and hood pop latch was broke an adventure for sure

Arnt you the guy with the magic front yard for selling stuff in like a day? I remember something like that from a few years ago..

I did that a few time maybe 6-7 years ago. I sold a riding mower in an afternoon and a compressor and chipper as a package deal in 2 days, sold my wifes old car in a couple days too. I used to live on a busy road with a lot of commuters and school traffic. I would also put stuff out by the road with Free on it and it would be gone pretty quick.

Goodwill, Salvation Army, St. Vincent de Paul.

All good causes and always in need of donations. I love car/drag race/gasoline style t shirts. I must buy a hundred a year so I have to get rid of more than a hundred a year to keep space. Most only worn once or twice, I have a habit of dropping food on a shirt the first time I wear it .:p

The folks who man the drop off at these places know me by name now. They're always interested in what weird stuff I will be dropping off, but they say it only lasts a day or two and it's gone.

Again, all worthy causes. Craiglist is a total crap shoot.......

Last edited:
I would also put stuff out by the road with Free on it and it would be gone pretty quick.
I had a BIG rear projection tv, that I had to get rid of.
I put it out at the end of my driveway, and a sign, saying "FREE".. It sat there for several days. So, I changed the sign to "$50/honor system".
It was gone the next morning. And, no $50 in the mailbox. The recipients thot they were getting away w/ some thievery...:rolleyes:
CL, never at the house. If I go look, my "bulldog" goes with.;)

I had a BIG rear projection tv, that I had to get rid of.
I put it out at the end of my driveway, and a sign, saying "FREE".. It sat there for several days. So, I changed the sign to "$50/honor system".
It was gone the next morning. And, no $50 in the mailbox. The recipients thot they were getting away w/ some thievery...:rolleyes:
CL, never at the house. If I go look, my "bulldog" goes with.;)
haha that's funny right there

I did that a few time maybe 6-7 years ago. I sold a riding mower in an afternoon and a compressor and chipper as a package deal in 2 days, sold my wifes old car in a couple days too. I used to live on a busy road with a lot of commuters and school traffic. I would also put stuff out by the road with Free on it and it would be gone pretty quick.
I'm sure that has something to do with how you take care of your stuff and the appearance of your property, I've always had good luck buying from people that appear to have the rest of their stuff in order

Screenshot_20190421-193418_Chrome.jpg

Heard one comedian say that Craigslist is just a game of who is going to kill who first. Seller thinks the buyer is the serial killer, buyer thinks the seller is. Funny but pretty close to the truth.