Cracked windshield

GNRick

Retired member
Noticed a crack today in lower passenger area. Should I just go to local glass shop for a new one? Are there any windshields better than others?

The quality, clarity and the craftsmanship it is top notch. It will be rare to find any blemishes on the glass unless the installer or who ever handled it accidentally made a mark. Others are China made and you'll still can get a decent piece of glass but they are not as strong and durable or as nice in my opinion. The fit on the better glass are as close to factory as posible and pilkington and ppg I have seen on higher end vehicles like Mercedes. I used to work at a glass shop and I've asked the same question you are currently asking to an auto glass installer that has been in the industry for a long time and his first word was pilkington. If a glass shop ever tell you any others are better than the ones I've stated or the original oem it's is only because they make more money on the China made.

There are only four major USA glass companies that I would recommend, SFI Cutlass mention two of them the other two are Guardian and AFG. All four of those companies manufacturer Superior high qualify glass, so if there stencil label is not on the glass ,you will get what paid for.You mention it was a little crack ,well satellite mobile glass repair does excellent work on repairing small cracks.

Safelite could repair it but they will disclose before repairing it that it might crack out further and that the crack will not disappear. They also only repair it if it's not bigger than a dollar bill or if it not hitting an edge. Your chip repair could also be covered by your insurance at no cost to you, you'll just have to call your insurance and ask if they cover chip repairs.

Safelite could repair it but they will disclose before repairing it that it might crack out further and that the crack will not disappear. They also only repair it if it's not bigger than a dollar bill or if it not hitting an edge. Your chip repair could also be covered by your insurance at no cost to you, you'll just have to call your insurance and ask if they cover chip repairs.
It's not a chip, it's a crack. It starts from the bottom under the flimsy black metal trim and goes up in a crooked path about 7-8". I'm sure my insurance covers it so cost is not an issue. Just wanted to get my money's worth (or State Farm's money's worth lol).

Glass man will use Pilkington. He said he avoids the Chinese glass although more new cars are using it. He said the Chinese glass has gotten better.

GNRick your getting a great quality product in Pilkington Glass. There is a reason they have been in business in the USA for a 120 YEARS.

Got the windshield installed. Good news was there was no rust around the frame. Bad news was I have $250 deductible and it cost $245. The old windshield was from Safelite so it was replaced once before. The new one was made by AFG even though the glass place bought it from Pilkington.

Got the windshield installed. Good news was there was no rust around the frame. Bad news was I have $250 deductible and it cost $245. The old windshield was from Safelite so it was replaced once before. The new one was made by AFG even though the glass place bought it from Pilkington.

Bummer, but $245 well spent.I deal a lot with glass foundries in my job ,as I mentioned AFG is one of the best as well.If you knew that glass had been replace,Safelite used to have there panels label with that stencil on when it was manufactured [date an year] in a 8 digit number, now that was years ago when our cars where younger. But needless to say that new glass should last you a lifetime unless something freaky happen.

I got my initials confused. Glass was made by PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works), not AFG. Glass man was a bit vague on the warranty. Apparently if it leaks or gets a stress crack within a few months, parts and labor is covered. He also said labor has a lifetime warranty. So I asked if the glass cracks like the old one did 10 years from now, with no visible chip, is it all under warranty? Well, he wasn't sure. He said he would have to call the manufacturer. Based on past events, PGW will probably have new owners in 10 years and I will be out of luck. Thoughts/comments?

10 years from now you will probably be pushing up daisies.......that will put you 85 right? Lol