cooling fan resistor?

vader6

Turbo Buick enthusiast
I need to replace my OE fan resistor...I do not want to jump it for high speed. Outside of a rare pricey NOS replacement, who is the electrical guru who can give me a link to the current replacement version of the resistor?? Likely a wirebound resistor? What are the specs of the proper "new" resistor to perform as the OE part? Thanks!!

.3 ohm, 50W, 5%

Mouser lists a handful of chassis mount resistors that should work:

71-RH050R3000FE02
[URL='http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ohmite/850FR30E/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtbXrIkmrvidBXMxMqM%2fjtDei%2fk6MmupSw%3d']588-850FR30E
[/URL]
[URL='http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ohmite/850FR30E/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtbXrIkmrvidBXMxMqM%2fjtDei%2fk6MmupSw%3d'][URL='http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Dale/RH050R3000FC02/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtbXrIkmrvidMSY%252b1GTbUwvvFac7HCkn5Y%3d']71-RH50-0.3[/URL][/URL]

Generally they are only rated at 25W in free air. But mounting it in the air stream from the fan increases that rating. It is a good idea to mount it via an aluminum bracket to further increase the power rating.

Disclaimer, I haven't tried any of these so I don't know if the fan's air is enough to keep it cool. But they are inexpensive and certainly worth a try.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Please check attached files

Attachments

• Resistor.jpg
    Resistor.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 230
  • IRCIS00295-1.pdf
    759.6 KB · Views: 264
Wow, GNPL is spot on with a cut sheet. Nice job George to have that info at your fingertips!

Wow, GNPL is spot on with a cut sheet. Nice job George to have that info at your fingertips!
Thanks - I was also checking the measurements (size) of the resistor in my GN and those on page 2 of the PDF for PW-50E .... The same.... Even the mounting bracket looks the same on the drawing.
However, I was not able to find (google) any resistor for sale. I have sent request to the TT Electronics just now. Hope they will answer.

Thanks - I was also checking the measurements (size) of the resistor in my GN and those on page 2 of the PDF for PW-50E .... The same.... Even the mounting bracket looks the same on the drawing.
However, I was not able to find (google) any resistor for sale. I have sent request to the TT Electronics just now. Hope they will answer.

When you follow up with TT Electronics, you could ask to speak with a tech rep or their engineering dept (or sales dept) and ask for a sample PW-50E to be sent to you for analysis to determine the item's qualification standard in comparison to the OE part. Companies like TT Electronics send out product samples all the time in contemplation of a future order of said item if all checks out.

We now know it is the same part just by the specs on the cut sheet. But requesting an engineering sample is a quick means to obtain one for comparative purposes. When you find out who distributes their products or if they engage in direct sales, post the info back here so that we all have the answer and OP vader6 can get a needed part. probably didn't need to mention that.

Got the answer:

####################################
Hi George

Further to your request I have had this checked for you and unfortunately we have no stock available of this part and our MOQ is 112 pcs with a lead-time of 7 weeks.

If you wish to purchase this part one of our franchised distributors would be able to place a back to back order on your behalf. Please see the link below for our website. All our franchised distributors are listed under the sales tab.

http://www.ttelectronics.com/resistors/

If you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards

Nichola Hogarth
Inside Sales Assistant

TT Electronics
Welwyn Components Ltd, Welwyn Business Park, Bedlington, Northumberland, NE22 7AA, England.

Hi George,

thanks for looking into the real deal part for all of us.

well, maybe our "vendors" will share the 112 piece minimum order to make this part available. I remember the fan resistor kit was sold by different vendors. don't remember the AC Delco part #. I guess that has been discontinued also.

Hello Anthony,
I was also thinking to forward this information to one / few of the GN vendors - I like that the resistor at the TTElectronics PDF catalog looks stock (except part number of course, but the size, shape, even mounting bracket seems to be correct, not to mention 50 W power).

Anthony, what do you think - to send the info to all of the vendors below ?
- www.Gbodypars.com
- www.kirbanperformance.com
- www.oldbuickparts.com
- www.richardclarksgarage.com

Or maybe you can do it (I am from Poland, Europe: EN is not my native language).

George.

Hi George,

I'll send you a separate private message or conversation as it's now called about this to share my thoughts. This forum can get testy regarding vendors who pay to advertise here and vendors/manufacturers who are actually making the parts that others just resell.

No one would be the wiser that English is not your first language. You write better that many Americans.

Guys,
after checking here and there (together with Anthony P.), we have found out that maybe it is not the most optimum way to go with the stock looking resistor from TT Electronics (sorry purists...). Especially that there is cheap cheap cheap alternative solution to the original resistor, and that should work even better (mainly due to the aluminum radiator). First the parameters:
- power 50 Watt
- accuracy 5%
- resistance 0,33 Ohm

I was able to order such resistor for approx $1.8 here in Poland (Allegro - a kind of Ebay, very popular here).

Attached pictures showing the whole job for the cooling fan I did (including resistor replacement), and the PDF data sheet for that aluminum item (please note: it is not the same resistor and so neither the data sheet, as in the previous posts above).
Movie here:

It is not the way of course for someone who wants to have a stock car, but it will do the job for all others - I hope.

One more thing - try to install the resistor in a similar way to the original, so the air flow from the fan will cool it down.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 119
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 159
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 171
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    820.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 152
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    663.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 135
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:
There is some limitation of max. 10 files for a single post .... the rest is here

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 141
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 132
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 121
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 107
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 141
And the final picture + PDF data sheet here

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 131
  • rez war alu.pdf
    235.3 KB · Views: 120
Guys,
after checking here and there (together with Anthony P.), we have found out that maybe it is not the most optimum way to go with the stock looking resistor from TT Electronics (sorry purists...). Especially that there is cheap cheap cheap alternative solution to the original resistor, and that should work even better (mainly due to the aluminum radiator). First the parameters:
- power 50 Watt
- accuracy 5%
- resistance 0,33 Ohm

I was able to order such resistor for approx $1.8 here in Poland (Allegro - a kind of Ebay, very popular here).

Nice work, this is the type of resistor I referred to previously in this thread. Hanging it out in the airflow does the trick in keeping it cool. Should even last longer then the OEM sandstone resistor.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Just stumbled across this thread.
Thought I'd post that I have a NOS (NIB) fan resistor if you're interested. No hurry to sell, so you'll have to Pony up if you really want it.
LMK if there's any interest.

I fought this battle a few months back. They are nowhere to be found on the internet.

However, a member on here, turbo89 offered a personally made replacement for $30. Don't know his specs but maybe he can hook you up.

I ended up just jumping mine...

Same here, could not pay for the few NOS ones I did find...just did the jump it works fine.

I fought this battle a few months back. They are nowhere to be found on the internet.

However, a member on here, turbo89 offered a personally made replacement for $30. Don't know his specs but maybe he can hook you up.

I ended up just jumping mine...