Coil-Near-Plug (on Valve Cover) Ignition

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
Anyone thinking about CNP ignition system for TR?
Conrad
Hot Air

If curious, check out the Electronics/Performance ECM Update/C.N.P. Coil Near Plug/Coil on Plug section. It will available from Arizona GN soon.
Conrad

thats what we need, 6 separate coils under the hood, be interesting to see how they are mounted under the hood, its not like a 60's type engine bay we have there, but as always from Nick, it is worth a look!!

Ron

Sorry guys, we have shelved the COP project. :frown:

We tried using the FAST XFI computer and their XIM conversion box for COP on 3 different GN's and all had problems.

We were informed finally from the FAST engineers that there is a compatibility problem at higher RPM. Part of this is due to the stock reluctor wheel with only 3 "teeth" or openings. :confused:

On our race cars we use a distributor to get away from the waste spark which does not work well with a 2 step.

The factory coil pack set up will work well into the 9's, but does not adapt to the way we set up our race cars.

I do know the COP set up will work with a Motec as I have discussed this with Ken D. a couple times. Drawback here is the expense of the excellent Motec system that can do much more than most all after market computers, but a about 3 times the cost of XFI or Big Stuff III.

Sorry guys, we have shelved the COP project. :frown:

We tried using the FAST XFI computer and their XIM conversion box for COP on 3 different GN's and all had problems.

We were informed finally from the FAST engineers that there is a compatibility problem at higher RPM. Part of this is due to the stock reluctor wheel with only 3 "teeth" or openings. :confused:

On our race cars we use a distributor to get away from the waste spark which does not work well with a 2 step.

The factory coil pack set up will work well into the 9's, but does not adapt to the way we set up our race cars.

I do know the COP set up will work with a Motec as I have discussed this with Ken D. a couple times. Drawback here is the expense of the excellent Motec system that can do much more than most all after market computers, but a about 3 times the cost of XFI or Big Stuff III.

Hi Nick Check out the Accel ICM. It will get the Job done. The Electromotive GT is also real nice if you are looking for a DIS system.

How is the customer service with the Electromotive stuff? Who is running them at the track? I heard Scott Simpson was running that system, not sure if it is true or not.

Don Wang is running the TEC3R. Scott had the first gen TEC 10 years ago. Dont know anyone else in the Buick world that uses Electromotive.

Their support is 2nd to none.

Don Wang is running the TEC3R. Scott had the first gen TEC 10 years ago. Dont know anyone else in the Buick world that uses Electromotive.

Their support is 2nd to none.

I heard Scott replaced the Electromotive setup after he was unable to figure out why it kept blowing up every time the car went out. I guess he hasn't had any problems since the change from what I heard. Did he ever figure out what was wrong with the ECU?

Who else in the Buick community is running the electromotive system? anybody running real fast? Getting support at the track is probably pretty important to most. I can't wait to see what Mike Licht and Bob Bailey end up coming up with the COP setup that will work with any DIS setup... :cool:

I heard Scott replaced the Electromotive setup after he was unable to figure out why it kept blowing up every time the car went out. I guess he hasn't had any problems since the change from what I heard. Did he ever figure out what was wrong with the ECU?

Who else in the Buick community is running the electromotive system? anybody running real fast? Getting support at the track is probably pretty important to most. I can't wait to see what Mike Licht and Bob Bailey end up coming up with the COP setup that will work with any DIS setup... :cool:

Scott was running the TEC1 that was from the 80s originally installed by Jay Carter on the car Scott purchased. Scott changed because the system was not compatible with a wideband. No different than the Gen6 users did when the FelPro came out. He also broke the crank in the stock shortblock as many others have done with all brands of engine management systems. These are not secrets.

If you will read my post it says clearly that I dont know of anyone else that uses the Electromotive in the Buick world yet you chose to ask the question once again with a new twist.:confused: The focus here is DIS or COP excluding the factory stuff that some of was designed by Electromotive. I could ask you the same question but I already know the answer.

Help at the track? The guys at Electromotive probably wont take you to lunch. They also don't need the end user to scratch their nuts when they itch because you own one their systems. Proof is in the pudding. Aftermarket ECU controlled DIS or COP I have only seen 2 systems that have been successful. Motec and Electromotive.

Hi Nick Check out the Accel ICM. It will get the Job done. The Electromotive GT is also real nice if you are looking for a DIS system.

Thanks, but my FAST XFI system with a distributor and MSD box is working very well for my race car, and I intend on keeping it the way it is.

As you know, racing is not all about just HP, being consistent is necessary to win races. With a 2-step, boost controller, air shifter and a few other items I do well, and am very happy where I am with my car. :)

At this point, I will let the people with bigger budgets than mine to move the envelope forward. ;)

Scott was running the TEC1 that was from the 80s originally installed by Jay Carter on the car Scott purchased. Scott changed because the system was not compatible with a wideband. No different than the Gen6 users did when the FelPro came out. He also broke the crank in the stock shortblock as many others have done with all brands of engine management systems. These are not secrets.

If you will read my post it says clearly that I dont know of anyone else that uses the Electromotive in the Buick world yet you chose to ask the question once again with a new twist.:confused: The focus here is DIS or COP excluding the factory stuff that some of was designed by Electromotive. I could ask you the same question but I already know the answer.

Help at the track? The guys at Electromotive probably wont take you to lunch. They also don't need the end user to scratch their nuts when they itch because you own one their systems. Proof is in the pudding. Aftermarket ECU controlled DIS or COP I have only seen 2 systems that have been successful. Motec and Electromotive.

It will be a tough sale to get anybody to step up to a system that nobody runs at the track, being "better" or not, you can't take away that some of the fastest record holders run "lesser" systems with success, not blowing head gaskets like one might think would happen. It must be a good tune up while setting records keeping it together??

I'm sure when your car gets done it will be sporting one of these systems you speak of. If not I know where you can get a good deal on a XFI or BS3. ;)

It will be a tough sale to get anybody to step up to a system that nobody runs at the track, being "better" or not, you can't take away that some of the fastest record holders run "lesser" systems with success, not blowing head gaskets like one might think would happen. It must be a good tune up while setting records keeping it together??

I'm sure when your car gets done it will be sporting one of these systems you speak of. If not I know where you can get a good deal on a XFI or BS3. ;)

I have nothing to gain. I dont sell systems and dont tune for profit anymore.
Blow threw carbs go fast but I have no idea what that has to do with DIS or COP. Never said anything was a lesser system. Just stated that IMO the two mentioned have superior ignition capability.

The GN is not even on my radar. It needs a new owner not a system.