Cleaning up / moving wiring, anyone done it before?

All I did to plug the hole was cut an aluminum plate the size of the hole with one hole in the center for a bolt. Then painted it to match the car. I then used gasket sealer around it and stuck it over the hole the bolt in the center then went through an aluminum strip on the other side that clamped it to the fire wall. you don’t rally notice it’s there unless you look for it.

Tibbett came over and made some progress this weekend. He was on wiring ninja duty, and I was dis-assembling the dash to gut the un-needed stuff. We still need some grounds, (we'll end up doing a grounding block and running one big wire to the back of the block). We also need to do the gauge wiring, and to hook a few things up to the brake switch, but here are the pics:

Yes, everything is plugged in, and yes, that's a rubber mallet holding up the air filter (until we get a bracket made):
230397_975606170458_20702565_46212671_226837_n.jpg

Engine bay entrance:
227178_975607308178_20702565_46212678_327658_n.jpg

We hid the injector wiring as much as we could without cutting it:
224178_975607971848_20702565_46212682_3506162_n.jpg

Passenger side:
229573_975608480828_20702565_46212687_5856850_n.jpg

Maybe (hopefully) one more week and she'll be back together. It'll be a busy one, especially since I'm in finals week right now! Ugh!

I see Dan forgot to mention we haven't wrapped anything in loom yet either..the longest bit of wiring is for the MAF/air temp which actually goes around the driver's side and inside the fender well before coming out right by the radiator to plug in.

I would really like to get more done to this car quicker, but he's in the middle of finals and I'm moving.

Its looking good. I moved the air temp to the back of my intake and Im running a speed decity set up now so my MAF wiring is no longer seen its just hidden in side the front end for now incase I ever need it. I also did away with the vacuum lines so I no longer have those ether it looks super clean. I did keep my heater and AC so I do have some extra hoses on my engine still.

I'm trying to think, I believe I have 3 things now that need vacuum.
  • Brakes
  • MAP
  • FPR

Did you leave those on, or is there some really cool way around them that I'm not thinking of?

Dont forget the PVC

Why pull vacuum from the TB . cap it off and pull vacuum from the intake I drilled a 3/8 hole in the back and run it to a vacuum block. Here are some inprogress pics Ill take some finnished pics when the car is back from paint.

Got a little bit of work done this past weekend; that dash harness is a hot mess. Good news is that I've figured out that electricity isn't magic; and how some of the stuff works makes sense now.

Some hilarity was had when I couldn't find 2 pages of the wiring diagrams, and started trying to make educated guesses as to what things were. I should warn everyone that this is never a good idea. Luckily I learned a couple tips from Tibbett and was able to reverse my stupidity (and fall asleep in the driver's seat).

I think the best example was the little green box with what looked like an LED with 3 wires on it. I figured this had to be something to do with the twilight sentinel, even though my car was not equipped with one. So I took it out. Yeah, that's definitely the speed sensor buffer. :eek:

Glad I found that page of the diagram.

Also, after going over the diagrams, I should be able to get my SES light to function, even though I have a digital dash; which will be helpful for adjusting the TT chip, from what I read.

No real concrete progress, just some good old fashioned understanding on my part.

Also, you guys have a super comfortable driver's seat and if you can make the person who owns the car (or a spouse) go get you a pillow..it's an awesome place to sleep for the night.

Hey guys. Ran into a bit of issue with the connector that sits right next to the fuse block. I know (think?) all of that stuff deals with body connections, like doors and windows and such.

Any rate, the side of the connector that stays with the dash harness (not the part that separates and runs into the doors), where in the hell do pins M and P go? They're the tan and black/white wires on the far right.

It wouldn't be so bad if the connector was shown in the diagrams available. Thanks in advance!

248518_10100103572362158_20702565_46617542_5237087_n.jpg

Sorry I didn't read the post enough. I think it's the c209 connector and this is right.

M=Tan It's part of of the theft deterrent system. It goes from the door jamb switch to the connector and from the connector to the theft deterrent diode and the theft deterrent controller ignition key warning.

P= blk/wht The only place I've found this is goes from P to pin 4 "fasten belts slow tone input" on the convenience center chime module.

I got this from digging through schematics and my service manual is a little out of order but it seems pretty right.

That makes so much more sense. The way I had those sitting there was making it a horrible headache. So I think it's official, those wires can be removed. Thanks so much again!

Anywhere in that manual is there just a diagram of the C209, or a good one of the Dir/Haz connection? The only one I can find of that connection is so blurry I can't read it for anything! If there isn't, someone should make one!

Not the c209 but I'm sure the dir/haz stuff is in there. I'll try and scan it for you tomorrow.

Found it. scanner is missing. Ask a question and I'll try and answer.

Just for future reference, where is the best place to get one of the shop manuals? Would a G-body Haynes or something similar work well enough, or do I need to find a TR specific one? There are other body connectors up in the dash area, and I have no clue what those are all for.

I'm not sure where to get one. There was someone on here awhile back that was selling an electronic version but I'm not sure if that's still going on. If you google "service manuals" I'm sure you could at least find an electronic one. I bought my paper one years ago off of a board member. It was expensive but well worth it. FWIW unless you need firestarter or packing insulation don't by a Haynes. They cover some real basic stuff but the schematics (and pretty much everything else) suck.

subscribed, I looked underneath my dash a couple days ago and I was like "Holy hell what the hell did the last owner do"

Would love to see how this turns out to get some motivation on getting this done on my car.

We will be back to work on the car in a couple of weekends! Dan was busy getting married and I was moving at the same time so it hasn't really been touched for a few weeks. It's -very- close to being ready though.

Hi guys! Long time no post!

Since the dash has been pulled out, a lot of eliminating has gone on. And honestly, this is the one step of the entire process I wish I would have skipped entirely. Trying to maintain some semblance of functionality while eliminating the unnecessary is a completely pain. I have found that there are a lot of places where the factory wiring diagrams really come up short... really short. Between wires coming and going out of and into nowhere, and the un-mentioned body plugs that need to be taken care of, I don't think I'll be repeating this process unless it's to completely gut everything and start over from square one.

As a side note, a good portion of the anger at the dash comes from my lack of foresight. As I am now missing one of the plugs that goes from the brake switch (and I believe controls the torque converter lock up). I'll go out and take some pictures for you all this evening so you can kinda see where I am in the process.

After I go grab some Skyline Chili with Tibbett tonight, I'm going to come back and do more in-car mocking up and kinda set the dash in there to make sure I didn't screw everything up too badly. :-D

Got a little bit of work done. I'm proceeding slowly. VERY FREAKING SLOWLY.

I did a test fit on the dash, then a test fit in the car, then a test fit back out of the car, another one back in the car, and it looks like most, if not all of my wires are the appropriate lengths after all of that (taping on some lengths and such to make it all fit). Now it's just time for the soldering. I'm going through zip-ties like they're going out of style, and I seem to be doing a good job of keeping the wires not needed separated from where I'm working until they are needed. I'm actually doing what appears to me to be a decent job soldering the wires. Most of the connections turn out smooth and even, and I haven't forgotten to shrink wrap any of them (yet).

Here's my little bit of progress. I'm going to try to do 1 - 2 plugs a night until it's done, and hopefully that will result in it being done in another week or so; which will result in me driving it around like crazy, and then going out and putting my liver to work as celebration.

296979_10100210449709098_20702565_47399723_2051903_n.jpg

Edit: So far, every night I have been out late working in the garage, a skunk has come in and walked toward me, then upon noticing me, we have a staring contest, which usually results in it walking away and hiding under a car.

Also, sorry for the crap picture quality, the fluorescent lights in the garage aren't much help with my phone.