Chip Options? Thinking About Dumping the Maftpro

Discussion in 'General Turbo Buick Tech' started by qwic87gn, Apr 15, 2017.

1. whitehot1

whitehot1
    Expand Collapse

I've been running the MaftPro with an extender extreme pro chip for around 10 years without a Maf sensor and have never experienced any idling or driving problems. Idle,part throttle,wot is all great. I haven't made any adjustments to the setup in years. I always liked the set it and forget it way of doing things. I do the boost and alky adjustments the same way. Keep it simple.

Seems everyone who has a problem with their car they want to blame the parts on the car instead of operator error/adjustments.

Maybe you could make a thread in the regional section for someone in your area to help you get it sorted out. That would be better than someone trying to help over the internet.

2. TurboBuRick

TurboBuRick
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I can help with the tpro if you are in Chicago area.

• Like Like x 1
  3. qwic87gn

qwic87gn
    Expand Collapse

I've never said I'm not to blame- as I said I'm going back through the wiring to ensure I didn't cause an issue by making a bad connection while installing it.

There's a decent support network in Utah, but not for this particular device. Guys around here are running FAST setups or are still using a MAF.

Maybe something will be obvious to Bob once he can review the log I sent him.

4. Ttype6

Ttype6
    Expand Collapse

There's no evidence that you are to blame. There's no evidence that the MAFT Pro is not to blame. There's no reason to assume either scenario.

5. dank GN

dank GN
    Expand Collapse
    always something

If you are going to spend the cash might aswell do it once and get the megasquirt pro or a fast setup ,SD2. I'm running a sd2 flex fuel setup and I love it . You know 3-5 year from now you will be going faster with most likely new parts you will want full control over VE ,spark,A/F, tables, this is all just my 2 cents doesn't mean much but it might one day lol

6. TurboBuRick

TurboBuRick
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

The Tpro is a great device but like anything it has a learning curve.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Grumpy

Grumpy
    Expand Collapse
    Thread killer

And thats why I use a simple TT chip. Still have adjustments u can play with . :p

8. Evaddave 87gn

Evaddave 87gn
    Expand Collapse
    Mechanical Engineer

Rick saved my ass with the Pro more than once! With his help an patience I was able gain a very good understanding of the unit.

Thanks again Rick!

9. TurboBuRick

TurboBuRick
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

The Tpro is really a great tool. Totally under rated. I still run it in my GN and it works well but I agree with Dan. A regular translator and a maf are hard to be for simplicity. I tuned on a car the other day with a extreme chip, translator and lt1 maf. Took like 3 wot blasts to dial in right in. It's like jetting a carb by turning a knob. Its so simple.

Rick

10. Mr.Spool

Mr.Spool
    Expand Collapse

Yup(y)so many just don't think its possible to go fast while keeping it simple.

11. Ttype6

Ttype6
    Expand Collapse

When I ran the Max Effort R chip,it had an unlimited amount of adjust ability. What that ended up meaning was that I would spend an unlimited amount of time adjusting it and never get it right. If I still had that set-up,I wouldn't even have time to write this because I would be out in the garage right now adjusting it before going to work.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Evaddave 87gn

Evaddave 87gn
    Expand Collapse
    Mechanical Engineer

I really like the Pro, its a powerful tool. But like all of these types of systems that allow for many changes to many parameters, if it isn't set up correctly the car will run like shit. The old addage holds: Garbage in = Garbage out.

For me it was the right choice, but I like to tweak and make changes. (I enjoy that aspect).

I tend to think that if you get some help to configure the Tpro you will be happy with it and save the money you would spend on a new chip.

13. juan89

juan89
    Expand Collapse

I have this setup and it runs great.
    If you do not have the right chip, it is not going to run right.

With the proper chip no adjustments are necessary .
    With your setup , you are going to have to make some changes to the VE table or use the keypad adjustments.

The extenderpro is not that much different that a turbo tweek chip, as long as it is program correctly for your combo.