Charging Problem....

87gnguy

well it all started about a year ago. i replaced the alternator and the battery. then alt went out again and it took it back and got another one. that one didnt work either. i did this two more times and finally i got one that worked. last week i was working on the interior of my car and had the doors and the trunk open for a while and this drained the battery, so i got my charger out and hooked up the red to positive and black to the block. let it trickle charge overnight and it started up fine. scanmaster was reading 10.5 volts. i returned the alt and upgraded to an impala 140 amp alt. drove car today and SM was reading 13.5 all day. i do some more work on my interior tonight and SM started reading 10.5 volts again. i disconnected the neg bat cable while car was running and the car died. i took the alt back and they tested it three times and it passed all three times. i come home, put it back in the car and run a jumper wire from back of alt straight to the battery and still the SM reads 10.5 volts. :confused: headlights are bright with the AC on. my windows are a little slower than normal. car still dies when i disconnect the battery. is that supposed to happen? am i missing something? any advice is apreciated. oh i forgot to add that the first night i left the doors open for a while and the battery died, i jumped it off and when i grounded it to the block and turned the juice on, it sparked pretty bad at the block. The battery took a charge and i cranked it up, drove it down the street and after it went about a half a mile the lights went dim and and car died thats why i assumed it was the alternator, however my battery light never came on...

Thanks,
Casey

is the volt light coming on when you turn the key forward? if its burned out the battery will not charge

the only light that comes on in the dash is my check engine light when i just turn the key on

I have seen many people replace alts, when it was just a intermitent connection proplem with the alt light in the dash. Try tapping the dash and see it the voltage changes when running. Also quit undoing the battery while running before you do more damage, it proves nothing that can help this problem.

Thanks
Bill

Well, i didnt know disconnecting the bat while car was running would hurt anything... wont do that again :eek: Secondly, turns out it was that little bulb in the dash. works great!!! thanks guys, i learned something today. :biggrin:

field fix harness from casper fixed my problem last week after trouble shooting for a month its only 40 bucks, connects from the alternator to waste gate solenoid , had my doubts but that solved it!

Thanks guys,
I just ordered one. I'm so tired of chasing charging problems with this car.

you could have done the same thing by geting a new conector for the alternator from auto zone run a 12v switched line to the F terminal on the alternator.