champion intake heater line hole

tford

Registered Member
I can't get the heater line fitting to thread into the intake. The threads in the intake look nonexistent for the most part. I got it started but it doesn't feel right. I got the new fitting from Kirbans that is aluminum. Is this a common problem? Any suggestions?

You could try - re-tapping the threads.... then you're not second guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was thinking that too. This is on a new engine. I should probably remove the intake to do that right? I know there is going to be metal flakes anyway. I was told to change filter after 15 minutes of running

Nevermind. Had a blonde moment. That would put flakes in the coolant. Duh. Talked to engine builder. Just going to put thread sealant on and run it in until it stops

Just chase the threads.. don't run it in

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I can't get the heater line fitting to thread into the intake. The threads in the intake look nonexistent for the most part. I got it started but it doesn't feel right. I got the new fitting from Kirbans that is aluminum. Is this a common problem? Any suggestions?
Just chase the threads.. don't run it in

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Agreed. I would try chasing them. No need to remove the intake for that. Just keep a vacuum close by to collect the loose shavings. But I've never heard of an aluminum fitting screwing in an aluminum intake. Does'nt sound right.

Did you try installing the original steel fitting? When aluminum is anodized it's surface "grows". It could be the aluminum fitting is slightly oversized. Truthfully I wouldn't use an aluminum fitting in that position. Put a steel fitting in. I assume you are using the steel water pipe.

Couldn't get the steel one out. Yes I have the steel heater line. Chased the threads, vacuumed the shavings out and got it to go in straight. Seems good to go now. Thanks for the help guys.

Also, measure the ID of that fitting. It needs to be restricted or it will kill your heater core. I install a pipe plug in AN fittings and drill a hole to correct size. Might also be a cheap Chinese fitting that does not have the correct threads. You can get steel fittings at a local hydraulic supply shop. JIC is what you need. Cheap, too.